Coach Number?

jimtoo

Hi Scott or Coley, could you tell us how the VIN is arrived at? Some people are posting the last 4 of the VIN as the build sequence number of production. It does not work out that way according to different post as to the last 4 of the VIN and date of production.

I know that in automobile and truck production each of the first 11 digits are for a specific use in identifying the country of origin, make, model, engine, plant and year model and a check digit. Would you post here a list specifying what the digits are for please?

Thanks
Jim

Scott

VIN info

The VIN number that we issue in the RV industry is a 17-digit number.
The first three digits are fixed and issued by the government agency (SAE).
The fourth digit determines what type of hitch set up it is (Gooseneck).
The fifth digit determinies whether it is it a fifth wheel (F) or travel trailer (T).
The sixth, seventh and eighth digits are model specific integers (number of axles, then model length)
The ninth digit is the "check digit" which verifies the rest of the VIN and is not something that you can figure out without a formula.
The tenth digit is the model year (7).
The eleventh digit is the city of manufacturer (E for Elkhart)
and the twelvth through seventeenth digits are the production run order numbers.

There you have it. If you ask me to explain further, not only do I not know - my head my explode...

Just kidding.

ST