Brickyard 400 At Indy

Mike Repp

Anyone going to Indy for the Brickyard 400 on the week-end of July 25. I'm thinking about going. I normally stay in the Lion's sponsored campground.

timdebs

Wish I was, but we are going to Bristol August 19-23. Camping at Race Day Campground located right across the street from the track. Modified race and truck race on Wednesday night never seen that live before), hauler parade on Thursday, nationwide race Friday night, and sprint cup race Saturday night. Cant Wait!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Are you a nascar fan Gus?

We usually go to both Richmond races and at least least one Dover race, but this year we'll be 0 for 4. Long trip to Minnesoata and many camping excursions and rallies (but that's a good thing:)) have derailed our race attendance.

timdebs

Have not been to Richmond (yet), this will be our 4th trip to Bristol but our 1st time camping at the track. Very much looking forward to it, not to mention sleeping in our bed! Also looking forward to grilling out!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's almost impossible to get a camping spot at Richmond (I think they are all reserved for the next 100 years:rolleyes:). Even though we only live 80 mile to the north, we try to stay in a hotel and then use the shuttle from the coliseum downtown (convenient and fast) to get to/from the track. The last time we tried to drive back home after the race, it took over two hours just to get moving and over three hours to get off the parking lot:eek:.

timdebs

I have heard that about camping at Richmond. I updated our album on profile page, I will make sure to get plenty of pictures from Bristol.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We went to the Brickyard in 2004. We had 2nd row seats right in front of the pits. We had Jimmy Johnson and Jeremy Mayfield right in front of us. It was very interesting to watch them set up their pits, get the tires ready etc. Every time Mayfield would come in and get his tires changes they (pit crew) would take the lug nuts they took off the car and throw them through the fence so the fans could have them. We got a couple of them. It was a very cool experience. Growing up in Indianapolis we used to go the the Indy 500 every year. What a party. Took a ride in a race car once at Lowes Speedway. 3 laps at 165 mph. What a rush.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
There is nothing like the Bristol night race. We last went in '01 and camped in Brown's camp ground across the hwy. We've been to Bristol, Atlanta, 'Dega and both the Camping World and Nationwide races in Memphis every year (just 20 min to track). My step son is one of the Race on instructors in Memphis so I've driven that track and also got to drive 'Dega wit the Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure. Driving 'Dega was a real experience and had a hard time leaving the track and driving the stang 70mph on I-20 going home.

timdebs

I rode with Richard Petty Driving School a few years ago down in Florida and boy what a rush. We have never been to the night race at Bristol just the Spring race. Can not here quick enough.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Richmond Race

;)Hey Gus - Don't camp at the track. We camp at Hidden Acres in Bowling Green on Route 301. It's about 40 minute drive to the track or you can take their shuttle bus on Saturday. John and I did it in May and had a great time. I'm done camping at the tracks. Going to Dover? Camp at Cedar Creek Landing in Lincoln, Delaware. About 20 minutes south of the track on Route 13 and 99% of race traffic goes north. We did it in June. Stayed for the burn out, walked to the truck and got to the camper in about an hour. We're going to Martinsville in October, camp in my cousins yard in Blairs - 30 minutes to the track and Martinsville has the best traffic control around. We're done with drunks, theft and all nite (construction) generators!

M

mistertom

We stay in lot 6 just west of Gate 7/8. It's a small grassy and mostly shady area. All dry camping but that's why they sell generators. The weather is supposed to much more pleasant this year as compared to the last several. A water truck comes through several times daily as does the honey wagon. It's also a short 10 minute walk to our gate which is a real plus.

Tom & Kathi Easterling
09 F-350 King Ranch DRW Crew
09 2950 Big Country

M

mistertom

Sorry, I should have specified Brickyard. We will be there by early Thursday.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
;) We're done with drunks, theft and all nite (construction) generators!

If you don't care for the campground spectator events (and who would if your protective of your women and camper) DO NOT camp in the free camping areas at 'dega. One time was more than enough. We camp in the family camp grounds now. It is sooooo much more tame but the generators are still going. I have always chained my extra gas tanks under my truck because to give me hope that they will still be there and full when I return. I have not had theft problems at any track so far.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations to Jimmy Johnson #48 for his win today at Indy Brickyard 400. Go getum Jimmy.