Vacuum outlet in basement inop

k6fn

K6FN
I just fixed my vac outlet in my BH.. it would not switch on the vac unit but the inside outlet works good.. after a short troubleshooting venture, I found that the 2 screws that holds the control wires on the back of the hose outlet were not tightened enough to make the little spring contacts protrude to the point where they make contact with the hose fitting..
I just wanted to share this little tidbit in case any of your outlets dont work..
Happy camping,, jerry

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on finding the problem and fixing it yourself.

Mark

Chuck Richard

Thanks for the post, my inside fitting may have the same problem. I can get it to work sometimes by wiggling the hose around but it does not stay on. Looks like I have a task thie weekend.

judysue

Just in case you haven't found your manual and bags for your Eureka vac, look inside the unit that's where mine were.

johnjoanw

We have the opposite problem. The vacuum will not shut off. We have to turn it off at the breaker. I (John) took the stair panel where the hose plugs in apart and disconnected the wires and it still does not shut off. Do the small wires to this unit go to a relay somewhere? Is it near the vacuum? It is raining today, so I can't pull stuff out of the basement to get at it, but would like to know where to attack the problem once it dries out here.
Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
johnjoanw, those two wires, when touched together close the circuit and allow the vac to turn on. Like turning on a light switch. So if you look in the floor sweep, where you removed the wires, you will see two little brass nibs. When you plug your hose in, the metal piece on the hose end closes the circuit. What you need to look for is two of the wires that go to the vac recepticles and make sure that nothing is touching, which would close the circuit and cause the vac to run continuously. Don't forget to check the one in the basement if you have one. If nothing up till this point helps, disconnect the two wires from the vac itself. If it's still on then you most likely have a faulty vac.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
J&J, this might seem a little dumb, but have you tried pushing down on the outlet on the stairs. I kicked mine with my foot one time at it ran for 3 hours before I figured out what was going on.......:eek: In fact the last time it happened, we were camping. It got kicked and we thought the surround sound had gone wacko. On the bottom step is not a good place for it...too many feet up and down the stairs. Bob:D

johnjoanw

I've checked the two hose outlets, and they are ok. My next step, when it dries out around here and I can clear out an area in the basement to work, is to remove the wires from the vac, like suggested, and see if it still runs. I'll post when I find out if it still runs when they are off. Thanks for the help.

johnjoanw

I disconnected the wires and flipped the breaker back on and the vacuum still turned on. I then took a screwdriver and rapped sharply on the case near where the low voltage wires came out and tried it again and it did not come on. I then touched the wires together and it came on. I released them and it turned off. It has been working fine ever since. Hopefully, this is a permanent fix.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ah ha, the old real technician fix, if at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer. Glad you got it working.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, thats my moto. Hit it with a big hammer. If that doesnt do it, smash it into little bitty piece's. NOW, it wont screw with me anymore. :D