Dual Pane Windows..

ve1drg

Wondering if anyone with Dual Pane windows having any problems with moisture building up between the panes??

2010augusta

No moisture problems at all. The windows are simply two layers of glass with a bead of glass adhesive between them. They are not gas filled or anything fancy. They do a great job of insulating the coach from temperatures and noise. They also do not "sweat" like the single windows.

Yianni

Do they add much weight to a unit?
I'm thinking of ordering next year and it seems dual pane would help with keeping the interior cool. I'm looking at a Cyclone 3010 and they are heavy as is.
Thanks!

SmokeyBare

Simply put... double the weight of what the windows would be if they were single pane. Not an easy question to answer... the different floor plans of Heartland's Fifth Wheel and Travel Trailers... all have different numbers of windows installed...

There's been many questions about Dual Pane windows posted already... using the search option will bring up more information.

Marv

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
These are the option weights from the factory on my Bighorn 3055.

Approx weight added to the standard weight of the unit for the following options:

High gloss gel coat - 215 lbs
Dual Pane Windows - 120 lbs
Electric rear jacks - 15 lbs
Slide topper awnings for triple slide -101 lbs
Fireplace - 10 lbs

Last edited:

Bobby A

We ordered our 3580 with d/pane and glad we did, we have had 5th wheels the last 13 years without them, and we do notice a difference with heating/cooling and noise.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have no moisture within our dual pane windows. Is this happening to all of your windows or just one? Two?

talley

Have dual pane windows in my 2006 BH. Work well with insulation factors for temp and noise. Would be sure my next unit has dual pane also. Now, I have had one window develop moisture between the panes. Rest of the windows are ok. They do not have gas between the panes. They have a thick rubberized material between the pane edges. I looked into some method for repair but have concluded that no repair is practical. One of the sliding panes will run about $80 for the parts. Mine is at the dining table window. The shade is always down and I simply have not found it necessary to replace at this time. Spoke with Herer (glass mfg) and warrant is gone.

porthole

Retired
Dual pane windows - insulated or not is the main reason we elected to order a trailer rather then just get one from a dealer.

none the dealers seem to check that box when ordering units.

And of course ordering means it really is "our" trailer.

Never noticed a problem with our previous TT's single pane windows, but then again the AC was so noisy it drowned out the outside noise.

Except for that one time at a campground in South Jersey ........................ but that is a separate tale

caissiel

we have dual pane windows on our unit. we found out after a week of ownership, we were very glad. We noticed that after a warm day and the air cools down outside we can get moisture on the glass inside. It could be that the humidity inside the unit that condenses on the glass. At the time we used the fireplace to heat the unit. Now I make a point to vent the unit and use the furnace to circulate the air. Also we noticed that the curtains when on night shade do insulate also. So trapped warm air will create condensation on the glass.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Have dual pane windows in my 2006 BH. Work well with insulation factors for temp and noise. Would be sure my next unit has dual pane also. Now, I have had one window develop moisture between the panes. Rest of the windows are ok. They do not have gas between the panes. They have a thick rubberized material between the pane edges. I looked into some method for repair but have concluded that no repair is practical. One of the sliding panes will run about $80 for the parts. Mine is at the dining table window. The shade is always down and I simply have not found it necessary to replace at this time. Spoke with Herer (glass mfg) and warrant is gone.

I have the same issue with the window next to the sofa...looks almost like an oily smear inside the two panes. We too just live with it...probably something made it past the rubber seal, and now there is no way to get to it....:eek:

Blessed

We have had dual pane windows on our unit for 3 years. No problem. We love them. Keeps the unit cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and no moisture inside.:)

webperks

I have been trying to buy a toy hauler, and the first thing I look for is the windows. Several builders have nice winter packages, but they all leave out the windows (dual or thermo) I know an extra. But why would you build a 4 season class rv and leave them off?
I searched hard after having a 40'er long ago and placing towels in the windows for the drip. This time I'm looking at a cyclone 3812 built with the dual windows, even if your part time or in the hot areas of the country I would never leave them off. I'd rather add (if pre-wired) the generator or solar for later.

So in close I'm working with Lakeshore rv (John) and the windows, heat pump, bedroom slide, generator, 12 cu frig w/ice maker were my main goals and the price.

jbeletti

webperks,

You are wise to work with a dealer to order what you want. In your case, dual pane windows are important.

For others however, they be not be. And to spend the money for them and not want/need them is money they could have spent on other upgrades.

So it comes down to needs vs. intended use vs. budget.

Personally, I like dual panes. But I could not afford them in my first Heartland, not did I need them based on my style of camping.

Happy to hear you are getting just what you want and thank you for reminding others that there is no need to settle for what a dealer has on the lot, if time is not a factor in getting the RV they want.

Jim