Intrigued by the Edge

kampfirekid

We have a 2009 North Trail 31BHD and really love it. Although it would be extremely tough to "downsize", some days we feel that we could really do better with a smaller unit for the weekend type of camping we generally do. Many times our discussions lead us to downsizing to get into a 1/2 ton truck, and a trailer that would take care of the necessities for us - weather protection, sleeping, showering, etc. instead of our current trailer that could easily entertain twelve and sleep eight or so. Losing nine feet of length and 2,500 pounds sounds attractive some times, too, and a change in my current vehicle status may force us to change.

For you M-22 owners, do you think the M-22 is actually a good compromise for a family of four (two kids are 6&8), or are we thinking about a mess? I have no issues towing a 33 foot trailer now, but sometimes it seems a little more inconvenient for the TYPE of camping we do. We never do week trips, let alone 3-4 day weekends.

For some reason I have it in my head that it would be alot easier, convenient, and quick to hitch up an Edge and squeak out for a quick weekend when the sun shines unexpectedly on a short weekend. I am considering that my one ton truck may be removed from the company fleet next spring, and I really don't care to pull our current trailer with a 1/2 ton again as I was well overweight by several hundred pounds payload this spring before the company graced me with a one ton.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

rl7greg

I am getting an M22 soon, and will post more after I've used it for a while..

We have two kids under 3 now. I hope it will be ok for us until they decide camping with mom and dad is not cool anymore ;) But we are moving up from a tent, so I think it won't be hard for us to be happy with it...

But the deciding factor for us not to get something bigger (heavier) was that the GVWR of the M22 will be near the capacity of our SUV. We were happy to find something so spacious for that weight, and a truck or bigger SUV was not something we wanted.

The other factor for me - being 6'4 or so, the hordes of trailers out there with 6'6 interior height just wouldn't work for me. They neglect to mention in the specs that the AC hangs down 3 inches, and all the lights, etc, etc. There were many models I thought I'd love until I walked inside them.

Do you have trouble finding spots big enough with the trailer you have now? Would 8 feet or so less give you more options for campsites? That's something I didn't really consider or look in to.

Looks like there are quite a few versions of the F150 by the way that would pull your current trailer though, if you did need to downsize the truck - http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

Greg

PS - Just wanted to add that I think you'd probably miss the extra space to hang out if you downsized - no couch in the M22. Just wait though - I bet someone at Heartland has already thought about an 'M28' for the 1/2 ton truck crowd, and if they haven't, they probably should...

Last edited:

timdebs

Kampfirekid keep in mind your children are getting bigger and will be wanting to invite friends for the weekend. For some of our boy's friends the only camping experience they got was with our family. I am glad we were able to make room for them. I would keep as much room as possible for right now, you will need it!