Quality Question

Dave

Traveling Two
I have a question for the full timers. We don't full time because I still work but my work is on the road, therefore we are in our 2010 Sundance 3300SK for eight months out of the year. We took possesion of our unit last August 2008 and it seems there is something constantly going wrong or needing attention. The light switch in the bathroom needs replacing, the air mattress in the couch has had a leak since we've had the unit. The dealer where we purchased the Sundance said they couldn't find the leak!! If it leaks for us how can it not leak for the dealer? The bedroom slide leaks when raining and the inside step up to the bedroom is starting to sag and will need replacing. The floor in the bathroom is getting soft and spongy and now last week the shower is starting to leak (no relationship with the spongy floor, we've had a spongy floor for several months and we are not over weight). The air valve in one of the trailer tires needs replacing because it leaks and the brake light has been replaced. I've replaced both the bathroom and kitchen faucets because they developed a anoying squeek. The bedroom window wouldn't go up until I used every muscle in my body and forced it up, now I'm a little hesitant to even open the window in fear of it not coming back down. So every weekend I'm doing something (repairing) to the camper, so my question is to the full timers, are your weekends taken up repairing your Heartland campers? I am kind of venting because this weekend I'm going to take apart our shower and figure out why is my less than one year old Sundance leaking. I have little to no faith in the vendor where I purchased the Sundance.
Any cheering up comments will also be helpful.

osims

bsims
I don't know if this will cheer you up or not, but here it goes. We don't live in our fifth wheel but enjoy it every chance we get and there are minor problems to fix every so often. We do live in our house and there is always something to fix. I think when you use something constanly thats the nature of the beast.
Bill

Smokeyfl

In a less than one year old camper, you should have the dealer make any necessary repairs. I've had some issues, but they were all taken care of by the dealer and Heartland working together. Some wrong parts were shipped for repairs and I had to take the camper back a second time, but I always felt I was going to be taken care of. I am now out of warrenty, so will be on my own. I do feel the quality is better than most in the price range.

Bobby A

You MUST contact Hartland customer service, they are fabulous to work with and they will make ever effort to get your coach fixed, and make you a happy camper. Trust me !!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't understand why when you are in warranty you are not getting an RV repair company doing the repairs. Even if they are not a Heartland dealer Heartland Customer Service can and usually will authorize a non-dealer to do a warranty repair. Instead of writing about it I would be calling Customer Service about it. BTW you are living in your unit. So using one full time you are putting alot more wear and tear on it, therefore more repairs. At least you are still in warranty. A house you live in needs constant service, such as tightening doorknobs, fixing the toilet, repairing water leaks, squeeky doors, broken or sticking windows, loose shingles, cleaning gutters. Seems like it never ends, not to mention mowing grass, fixing the lawn mower, weed eater, painting etc etc etc. Count your blessings. Happy Camping

azbound

I have owned my Bighorn for 20 months and have had an occasional problem, but no where near the number of problems you are having. We have spent approx. 9 months living in ours. I would contact Heartland and tell them your story, there is no way you should have all these problems. Most of us are Heartland admirers and go out of our way to praise them, and no one any more than me. However, one reason we are high on Heartland is they stand behind thier products. Give them an opportunity to address your trailer problems.

Good Luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, I hear your grief but I can't really make you a happy camper. We will have lived in our Bighorn full time for 3 years on August 11th. While we have not had a slide out leak, I have totally removed the shower enclosure and repaired, fixed a light switch, had the reefer repaired several times, replaced a kitchen faucet and a few other minor problems. I've recently had the suspension replace with an Independent System from Mor/ryde. I won't say I constantly work on the rig but I do enjoy tinkering when I get the chance. These units are not designed or engineered for full time use. They don't use the best components available in some areas either so build costs can be kept in line. All that said, I'm happy with our Bighorn. Heartland has been there when I've needed them but I've done most work myself. I like doing it and I'm getting pretty knowledgeable about these rigs (at least the one's in the 06-07 era). I just take it in stride. It's been said many times in many different threads on this forum. If you want to live this lifestyle, you should be a bit of a handy man. This goes for every Brand on the market. I hope this helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been fulltiming in our 08' Bighorn for two years. I will say that with constant use there is always something that needs repair, tightening, maintenance, etc. This would be the same even if we lived in a house.

As far as taking it back to the dealer everytime there is a small thing that needs fixing or adjusting...sorry...but in our opinion that's just a waste of time. As far as the problems you're having, again in our opinion, they are mostly minor and things that we'd just handle ourselves. However, I would be concerned about the spongy bathroom floor, that sounds like you've got a leak somewhere.

When you own a home, or an RV there will ALWAYS be something that needs to be worked on or maintain...no way to get away from...just a fact. If you want to keep it good shape, get used to it...sorry...just don't feel it's a matter of quality problems.:rolleyes:

Jimmyt5

My air mattress had a leak and I took it out and wet it down and soaped and all that good stuff never found leak. Called Flair and they replaced it...

DMitch

It's very frustrating to have a dealer that is no help. Especially with a problem like you have with your floor. I would recommend calling Heartland directly, they are a good company. They will allow you to find someone else to fix your problems and get you taken care of.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mostly minor stuff, but if your dealer is giving you the "bum's rush" on the slide leaks and warranty work, you definitely need to get Heartland involved. If you bought a new Sundance from that dealer, then Heartland will want to know if their name is getting dragged in the muck.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have a question for the full timers. We don't full time because I still work but my work is on the road, therefore we are in our 2010 Sundance 3300SK for eight months out of the year. We took possesion of our unit last August 2008 and it seems there is something constantly going wrong or needing attention. The light switch in the bathroom needs replacing, the air mattress in the couch has had a leak since we've had the unit. ....... The air valve in one of the trailer tires needs replacing because it leaks and the brake light has been replaced. I've replaced both the bathroom and kitchen faucets because they developed a anoying squeek. The bedroom window wouldn't go up until I used every muscle in my body and forced it up, now I'm a little hesitant to even open the window in fear of it not coming back down. So every weekend I'm doing something (repairing) to the camper, so my question is to the full timers, are your weekends taken up repairing your Heartland campers? I am kind of venting because this weekend I'm going to take apart our shower and figure out why is my less than one year old Sundance leaking. I have little to no faith in the vendor where I purchased the Sundance.
Any cheering up comments will also be helpful.

If you think it's bad now...get some road mileage on it...the fun has just started. I'm not making lite of your problem...but, it's going to be the nature of the beast. Mine has not moved an inch since delivery...and things just break every day. I don't mind the nickel and dime stuff...I either fix it or get it fixed...what worries me is a major failure while towing.

Sometimes, I feel the Quality Control people were on vacation when my trailer was built. I have had more problems with my Big Horn than I ever did with my 30+ year old Airstream. Now THERE was an engineering education.

If you are having these problems now, when you unit is new, think of what it can be in 2 or 3 years. Get Heartland involved now while the damage is minimal and possibly covered by some warranty.

Relax, it can only get worse.:)

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't want anyone to misconstrue my comments as being 'flippant' about someone elses problems. I was only trying to point out the fact that all most all RV's are not meant to be lived in full time. Also it does not help get it fixed to go online and complain. I guess it might make you feel better but to get it fixed the best thing to do is either get busy and fix it or have someone else fix it. Many of you know we have had our share of problems too but that is just the nature of the beast. The other fact is there are a number of persons who are fulltiming in 'low end' models of all brands (not just Heartland) and they do not hold up as well as the higher end models. I have a number of friends who own RV's that are built as full-time units and they still have problems. Quality is something that has seemed to be slowly disappearing in all areas of manufacturing since our country has be "outsourcing". We as consumers must demand quality from our products and be willing to boycott manufacturers who do not provide it in all areas of consumption. I guess we have all been brought up with the "I want it all" attitude.

Back to the topic - We all as RVers have to be willing to 'get our hands dirty' in order to keep our rigs in top condition. So let's have a positive attitude and be happy that God has blessed up with the ability to travel as we work and play.

PS - I just finished fixing the bathroom faucet that didn't have the pressure it should. Took off the strainer and found it to be partly clogged from the 'wonderful' water we find in campgrounds.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you've ever owned a boat with a galley and a head (or even without them), you're probably familiar with the acronym "BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand". Now multiple the vibrations by ten-fold. These trailers take a beating rolling down our wonderful :rolleyes: hiways. Screws are gonna get loose, glue is gonna let go, and fittings are gonna break. Check on here to see how many of us have ripped a cabinet door off because one came open and we didn't check before we put a slide out!:eek: It's the nature of the beast. Yeah, some things could be built better, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that to happen. I carry a medium sized tool kit, assorted stainless steel screws (they don't rust), gromments, washers, tie straps, etc, to fix water leaks and assorted and sundry other things that pop up (or out). I probably spend a couple of hours every trip working on something. And if something wasn't loose, I'd spend the time checking stuff out anyway. It's just my preventative maintenance nature.

The Sundance wasn't built for full-timing so you can expect things to break more often.

Dave, We have a 2009 Bighorn and have had it back for all kinds of adjustments and sure don't like dealing with our dealership...Won't buy from them again. The latest was a big TV repair bill. On a TV only a year old...I told Heartland they need to forget about putting Jenson TV's in their RV's Our third isssue with the TV. We know how frustrating it can be. We spend the winter in ours and have considered full timing but havn't been that brave yet... Jake and Paulette Fowler

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"Check on here to see how many of us have ripped a cabinet door off because one came open and we didn't check before we put a slide out!:eek: It's the nature of the beast"

We did this exact thing sometime last year...just the other day we noticed that when this occurred we actually pulled the cabinet down from the ceiling and it was resting on the valance. Didn't notice before because it was still pretty much covered by the trim. Simply added several screws to pull it back up into place...good as new!

As I said earlier...you will always be fixing or repairing something. If not something that's worked, or vibrated loose, then something of your own making. We added cabinet locks, the ones used to keep kids out...they're great for keeping the cabinets closed and everything inside. It's a real learning experience, but one we wouldn't trade for the world.

We've lived in this unit for more than two years now, and have put well over 35,000 miles on it. Have things broken or come loose...YES! Are we discouraged, or think we have a bad product...HECK NO!!! I've seen Prevosts that need alot more repairs than we do...and they cost a HECK of alot more! We are VERY happy with our Heartland. One word of caution, if you want to LIVE in ANY RV...be prepared to make or have repairs made...it's just that simple...JMHO:)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you've ever owned a boat with a galley and a head (or even without them), you're probably familiar with the acronym "BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand". Now multiple the vibrations by ten-fold. These trailers take a beating rolling down our wonderful :rolleyes: hiways. Screws are gonna get loose, glue is gonna let go, and fittings are gonna break. Check on here to see how many of us have ripped a cabinet door off because one came open and we didn't check before we put a slide out!:eek: It's the nature of the beast. Yeah, some things could be built better, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that to happen. I carry a medium sized tool kit, assorted stainless steel screws (they don't rust), gromments, washers, tie straps, etc, to fix water leaks and assorted and sundry other things that pop up (or out). I probably spend a couple of hours every trip working on something. And if something wasn't loose, I'd spend the time checking stuff out anyway. It's just my preventative maintenance nature.

The Sundance wasn't built for full-timing so you can expect things to break more often.

You couldnt be more right. We had a rather large boat down at the ocean before we decided to get back into camping. Just the regular maintenance on a boat is unreal. AND you have the same quality issues on a 250k boat.

I have been guilty of prejudging my trailer's quailty at first when I saw the way it was wired and plumbed, But I have to say the quality in the Heartland is much better than the average RV. I truly am sorry I posted a thread of what my basement looked like behind the walls.

I am begining to see the problems I have had are NOT Heartlands but a very rude and nonresponsive dealer in MI. Just trying to buy one from them almost made me buy a SOB. I could care less about their service work, it wont go back to a dealer. And if something breaks that I can't fix, well I feel Heartland will stand behind it and I will drag it back to the factory.

jmgratz- you are right about the quality of work in this country, The outsourcing has hurt but we -as a nation- do not take pride in our work any more. What a shame.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Fellow heartland owners, If I may, I would like to put in my .2cts worth. I know that myself and J.P. Morgan are not the only people on the forum that have worked in the auto industry. J.P. and I have about 80+ years in
it. So we both understand the complexities of a vehical that moves down the road.

As to quality, to me that is an abstract statement. Most cars, trucks and RV's are only as good as the people that design and build them. Heartland has gone the extra mile and built a good quality coach at a decent price.

As I read all the threads and posts about my "coach did this and did that". I have to remind myself...Heartland builds the fiberglass and plywood box that sits on a frame built by someone else. All the appliances, sinks, fausets, desks, cabinets and etc. are built by another company and installed in the box "THEY" made. Should heartland take every coach that rolls off the line, hook it up power, water, and let them set for a day or two and see what happens. In a perfect world "YES". Now if this was done, and had 5 or 6 people crawling all over it for 2 days, what would be the added cost to the finished product?

Should heartland be held responsible everything that goes wrong? If we read all the warrenty paperwork that comes with the coach, I believe that the manufacturer of the product in question is the one that warrenties that product. Does heartland go to bat for owners even if they did not make that product? Yes. But it is still up to the builders of the product to stand behind it. Should the manufactures of the product test everyone the leaves their plant? Sure, but do they? I have seen this and quoted this several times. " PUT WHEELS UNDER YOUR HOME-TOW IT DOWN THE ROAD AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS." Even a "sticks and bricks" has to be worked on all the time and it just sits there. I have never even had a toaster that worked forever. In closing, " there is nothing perfect that is made by man." If you have a problem with your heartland product, call your dealer. If they wont help you, call Heartland and let them try to resolve the problem. Venting is OK on the forum, but it wont get your coach fixed. BTW, where are all the dealers in this mix. Are they not payed by Heartland to make sure everything works properly before the owner takes delivery? I think some of the blame lies there!!! Thanks for letting me vent. Bob:D