Buying a 2010 Cyclone 3950

gixxer1

Hi every-one, I'm new to the forum as of tonight and my wife and 7 yr old have been camping for the past 5 yrs and have owned 2 Keystone travel trailer with our current one a 2008 Sprinter 311BHS.
We are just starting to look at toy-hauler's and the new Cyclone has really caught our eye with the new full throttle graphic package.
Any feedback would be greatlly appreciated on this popular great looking unit. Pros/Con's are what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Kevin:)

jimtoo

Hi gixxer1,

First welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here, and they have lots of information.

The Cyclone is a great toy hauler and looks like a million dollar rig with the new graphics. I am sure some of the owners will jump in and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you on the road sometime in a Cyclone.

Jim M

trvlrerik

We love our 3912 in full throttle graphics, you will never lose it in a crowd. We have got plenty of storage for "part timers". In regard to you plus-minus question: the garage does take up a lot of living space, and on rain days if you have more than 6 people you can feel a little cramped. With all of the storage space for toys and misc stuff that seems to find its way into the camper, it does get heavy, a large heavy trailer does mean a large expensive puller.
Would I purchase the same trailer after 18k miles and lots of nights camping ? Yes, after talking with many other people with everything from large class A buses to pop up campers, the quality of our Cyclone is better than anything else comparable in my opinion, sure, we have had some little problems, but my house has problems and I do not tow it around with me.
There is a lot of experienced people on this forum, and Heartland customer service contacts have helped me out a ton, for a newbie like me that means a lot.
Good luck with your decision.

Rigmover06

We have a 09 3950 and love it. Few technical difficulties but nothing that couldn't be fixed in my shop.
The cardboard underpan started to come off. Some one got extra happy with the self tapping screws and missed a few times.
The Drivers side front hatch just aft of the propane storage the screws came out that hold the nitrogen rod for holding the door up.
And the glue or whatever substance they used to hold the mirror on in the rear latrine came off.

Just a few minor glitches. Nothing too spectacular.

Dan

rogerlouden

Kevin, I also have a 2009 3950. So far we love it. Have had a few issues such as having to reglue a couple pieces of trim back on and the normal odds and ends, but otherwise no major issues. The extra bathroom works great for anyone staying in the back. We haul a couple full size Harleys in the garage. It's heavy, so have a puller that can handle it. I pull with a semi. You'll need a tonner at least to handle this bad boy. Good luck and let us know if you get one.

Roger

gixxer1

Thanks for the info, my wife and I are going to look at one in the morning so we are pretty excited to see one of these in person not just on the net. We are planning on finishing the season off with our 2008 Sprinter and try to make a deal this winter on one. Now I've heard mixed review's of the regular graphic's and the full throttle edition. They both look pretty cool on the net, but which one it's the coolest??
My rig is a 2008 F-350 SRW Spartan tuned, just hoping not to loose to much in MPG pulling this big rig. Thanks again for the warm welcome to your Heartland forum.

porthole

Retired
Now I've heard mixed reviews of the regular graphics and the full throttle edition. They both look pretty cool on the net, but which one it's the coolest??

Only difference is the color, "full throttle" is blues and silver, regular is maroons and browns.

Full Throttle also adds the "Full Throttle" logo to the name on the sides.

Attachments

• 2010 Cyclone 3010_99.jpg
    2010 Cyclone 3010_99.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 33

porthole

Retired
Using DW's strategy of selecting items....."What color is your Super Duty?" :rolleyes:

My "non super duty" :cool: is maroon, so the trailer is the standard graphics.

The blue/silver does look nice though.

I have pictures of it in another thread here.

Jay_B

We just bought a 2010 -3210 and are traveling across Canada with it from Calgary. It seems very good overall. It tows nice and turns nice (though sharp corners that the unit is capable of, do tend to bend the tires over and leave black rubber streaks on the asphalt).

The Garage is Very handy. Overall it is a great trailer that I would reccomend.

The major downside so far is that it is too tall. But to get the loft bed... it has to be.

There has been some minor issues so far:

1) Check Valve for city water blew out in night (I forgot the pump on with the system pressurized) and the pump started to fill the basement with water.

2) Slides leaks in rain occaisionally

3) Some plugs don't work on generator.

4) Everytime we moved it for the first 2 1/2 weeks, there was sawdust in the entry way coming from under the stairs. That seems to have abated now.

5) water pump seems excessivly loud.

We certainly get lots of looks and compliments.

PS

We have about 7900 km on it so far.
We have made it to Halifax so far and need to get to Newfoundland before heading back so we are about half done. Incidently as we are going back through the States, we will pass through Elkhart IN according to MS Streets & Trips.

Jay.

2010 - Cyclone 3210
2006 - F-350 6.0L

gixxer1

We looked at the 2009 3950 with the Full throttle graphic's and I must say that I'm not a huge fan of the yellow for my personal taste. The inside of the coach is very impressive with alot of nice features. The dealer has a 2010 coming in around the first of Aug. so we are going to look at the upgrades between the model year's.
Thanks alot for all the input. Kevin

truknutt

Committed Member
We looked at the 2009 3950 with the Full throttle graphic's and I must say that I'm not a huge fan of the yellow for my personal taste. The inside of the coach is very impressive with alot of nice features. The dealer has a 2010 coming in around the first of Aug. so we are going to look at the upgrades between the model year's.
Thanks alot for all the input. Kevin

So Kevin, you never told us the color of your Super Duty....

gixxer1

Sorry, it's a white crew cab 350 SRW. The ranges in the prices for this trailer's are crazy. What should expect to pay for a 3950 well equiped? Thanks Kevin.
Wow truknut you got some good toy's!!!!! The awesome!!!1

jnbhobe

Hey Kevin; I'm curious ? How are you going to pull that cyclone with that truck in your signature ?? 6in lift and 37in tires. JON:confused::confused::confused:

gixxer1

Well that's another question??? But I've seen alot bigger truck's than mine pulling fifth wheel's. My buddy pull's a 40' Inferno with a Dodge 3500, and my truck doesn't really seem to sit much higher in the rear than his dually. The fifth wheel hitches have alot of adjustment or flipping the spring's on the axles can lift the rig up to the proper height.
Or did you mean the 6.4l doesn't have enough engine to push 37" tires and pull 18k!!!!!
Well that's another reason I'm on hear getting feedback from people that haul these monster's around.
How does the 6.0l handle your unit?
Thanks
Kevin

bigredtruck

the colour of the graphics is personal preference. we didn't like the yellow full throttle (2009) and our truck is red, so we didn't see any sense in paying extra :)
We have a 3210 and when it is fully loaded, our gross combined weight is 22000 lbs. we did OK on our recent trip through BC, but will be doing some further checking and possibly having the truck inspected to make sure we are safe.

truknutt

Committed Member
Sorry, it's a white crew cab 350 SRW. The ranges in the prices for this trailer's are crazy. What should expect to pay for a 3950 well equiped? Thanks Kevin.
Wow truknut you got some good toy's!!!!! The awesome!!!1

Man you're screwed...White goes with everything!! Now I can't help sway you to any certain graphics package.

Thanks..I got toys 'cause I've got NO kids..never had 'em never gonna have 'em (at this stage of the game!)!! We had a term in the Army...(DW & I are both retired) we were DINKs and proud of it...Dual Income, No Kids! :D

jnbhobe

Kevin; was just wondering both about bed clearance and gearing with 37in tires. I went to 18in wheels for capacity and it didn't help gearing at all. I reprogramed it and made it liveable. wish I had 4:10 gears. I gross about 23,500. JON :D :D :D

gixxer1

Hi Jon
Yes, for sure the bed clearance may cause an issue but at the dealer this weekend they seemed to think that it's not a problem. As far as gearing my truck has stock 373's and I'm running the Spartan 275 tune which produces around 550 hp @ the rear wheels and just shy of 1200 lbs of torque. When this thing lock's the convertor in 4-5th gear it's totally amazing how it pull's and if you keep the up over 55mph the truck run's 1500-1750 and never has to switch back to 4th, just spin's the turbo's and climb's what ever hill that's headed your way. Now I'm also only towing a travel trailer that weigh's 8,500 lbs dry and not 18+k. Kevin