Electric awnings and wind.

2010augusta

I have had two coaches with manual awning and know how to keep flapping and movement down even with moderate winds, but the electric awning on the Landmark is completely different. I would really like to be able to keep the awning out all afternoon to shade the side of the coach and help keep it cooler, but currently we are working on the night shift, so we are asleep until about 4pm, and can keep an eye on what the wind is doing. I have thought about using rope or straps of some kind to attach from the awning roller to the ground. That would prevent the awning from trying to lift up with the wind, but I don't know how to keep it from flapping. There are a couple of fivers in the park that leave their electric awnings out all the time without straps. Anyone out there have ideas for a "long term" deployment of the electric awnings?

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I use ropes or straps to secure the corners of the awning to the ground if I am going to leave it extended for any length of time. Just be careful not to put to much tension on them. So far, this has held the awning in place very well with very little movement, so works for me. I also can easily remove them and retract the awning in severe winds when needed for safety.

Reducing the flapping is another story. Since the electric awning arms do not run along the edges of the material as most manual ones do, I have yet to find a way to reduce the flapping. Traditional de-flappers will not work. If anyone has a solution to this I would be interested as well to hear it.

jnbhobe

My 3370 came with the electric awning even after I ordered it with a manual one. I HATE IT !!! I also use strapes to help hold it down, works pretty well most of the time. We always like to have the awning out so we are always looking for ways to keep it stable. One day I'll change it back to manual. Jon :cool: :cool: :cool:

2010augusta

I don't believe that a manual awning will fit on the newer heartlands.The manual awnings require a lower mounting that the electric awnings and there is simply no room to place a lower mount unless you want a 7 foot awning. On the door side there is the propane door, baggage door, and battery door, as well as the fact part of the electric awning is actually over the hitch area. I like the manual awnings too, but we have to live with the electric awnings.

jnbhobe

Alan; You can use a manual awning, but the front arm is short and mounts on the overhang and you have to fill some holes. I just put some silicone on a stainless screw and put it in the hole. If something happens to my electric one I will have a manual one about 2ft longer. JON;););)

2010augusta

I have never seen a manual awning with short arms. Does it function the same way as the regular awnings? Or does is function like the electric ones?
Who supplies that hybrid awning?

jnbhobe

Alan; they use them on a lot of 5er's. I know A&E Dometic have them but I would think all the manufactures would. It works just like any manual awning, but the front arm can't reach the ground.Jon ;) ;) ;)

G

gar246

I have a electric awning on my 09 3670 Big Horn, not happy with it. I took manual awing adjustable arms and modified to fit along with the electrical awning arms. Now i have end rails to secure my flappers to the ends of the awning. I also have support legs under the awining roller so i can secure it to the ground with ropes. I remove the manual arms when i want to put the awning up. With this modification I don't have to worry about the awning blowing away if a wind comes when we are away. We winter in Florida this set up works great for us.

airedale

awnings...

my 2010..3055 was ordered with manual because i was worried about how to control in the wind .....the awning is a 20 footer and the front arm is short since it's a quarter way along the uppercut front section.....nice thing is, i can anchor it down if it worries me when i'm away and i was'nt really sure about the electric one......

6th fifth wheel......old dog very unsure about new tricks...........:D

bill40

We have the auto awning on our 3500RL and we not get another. The slightest wnd and it sounds as if it coming apart. Tried tying down the arms and thought they were going to break ( that was a heavy wind in CA) but our manual could with stand the same kind of wind. Plus they are two had to clean compared to our manual. No thanks on another.