Truck Size... 3670RL..

ve1drg

Wondering if half of those pulling a 3670RL are doing so with a 3/4 ton truck or does anyone use that size for this trailer, but does anyone use at least a 1 ton or larger??

Just curious as I do see the F250's being used for this size trailer and was just wondering how normal this is??

wdk450

Truck Size

I use a 1 ton dually diesel, which I think is the norm from the rally's I've attended. Some people opt for semi-tractors - REALLY!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As you can see from my "signature," I have a 1 ton dually. Bought the truck after buying the trailer and doing a lot of research, reading of forums, and Quija boarding. Actually thought about a 4500 for a while.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Started with a Chevy 2500 Duramax. Added air bags and chipped it. It did OK like that. We got a deal on a GMC 3500 Dually and it does much better as far as stability goes. Mileage isn't much different if at all.
Kristy

2010augusta

I crunched numbers for a long time after ordering the Augusta, and with all the options we requested, we knew it would be heavy. With everything loaded up the way we need to full-time, the Augusta rolls across the scales at 16,500 lbs and a pin weight of 3,380. We were not comfortable with the ratings of the GM or Dodge 1ton duallys and thought the Ford would do adequately. I went to a dealership and they had a nice used F-450 on the lot for a bargain, and that was game over. I have not had any control issues while towing and have towed over some very steep and winding mountain roads. The best advise I got while looking for a trailer was too buy the trailer first and then buy a truck. I already had a older F-350 turbo diesel SRW and knew it would have to go. When dealing with trailers of this size, DON'T comprimise on safety.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the 3600RL, basically the same platform as the 3670...we decided, since we live in our unit, that we wanted to have more truck than we needed. We didn't want to be marginal or not have enough truck so we opted for the truck in our sig...the Kodiak C4500 really does make it seem like there's nothing back there...AND, more importantly, it can stop the entire rig all by itself...now that feeling is priceless!!! :D

Tom of Ypsi

We had aan '05 F-350 dually with our current Landmark and we were marginal at best as far as weight. Ran into a good deal for a F-450 and can feel the difference and the peace of mind is priceless, the DW has no more white knuckles and does not try and brake as I am making a sudden stop.

2010augusta

We had aan '05 F-350 dually with our current Landmark and we were marginal at best as far as weight. Ran into a good deal for a F-450 and can feel the difference and the peace of mind is priceless, the DW has no more white knuckles and does not try and brake as I am making a sudden stop.

I bet most of the 1 ton owners out there would be amazed at the difference in towing with a 450/4500 or larger. If more people could "test drive" a 450/4500 with their trailers in tow, I bet you would see many, many more being used.

geeksrus

My 3400RL is not as heavy as yours and I'm hauling with a 1-ton dually with a 4.10 rear end. This configuration was the smallest unit that I felt comfortable with.
I upgraded from a 2003 F350 SRW which I felt was under capacity.

Eh!

ralphpam

We tow our 3670RL with a 2009 Dodge CTD 3500 drw and it handles it great going up and down the west coast mountains but it is the smallest truck I would be comfortable with.

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
3670rl

I have a 3670rl and tow it with an "04" Chevy 2500 Duramax. I added Firestone air bags, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, changed the intake and have a Bully Dog downloader on it. I have absolutely no problem towing it and mileage seems to be as good as or better in many cases than the daulies.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well let's see.:cool: 9 replies with dualies 1 ton or larger and 1 reply with a fast 3/4 ton. OK, fine, I'll make it 10. I had a 2500HD the first time I pulled our 3400RL to Texas. After seeing the scale tickets and driving on some pretty crappy roads, I bought our Dually on e-bay while we were in TX and I can say without hesitation, there is a noticable difference. It's your call though.

Bogger

I'd say it's too much for a 3/4 ton's GVWR in most cases. Pin weight probably isn't bad, but overall weight of the unit looks to be a bit too much. I'd have to side with the rest of the dually guys this time. ;)

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
According to the GM towing guide, that I have, the trailer, based on how it is loaded, could be within the towing limits of a GM 2500HD. But that can be said of all trucks and trailers. The reason that kakampers went with the 4500 Kodiak is because their Bighorn was loaded too heavy, even for a 1 ton dually. According to GM the difference between the 2500HD and the 3500 is 1000lbs of trailer weight. The allowable pin weight is determined by the RGAWR and how you load your truck with all the other things that we throw in the bed and back seat. The towing guide lists the 2500HD max trailer weight as 15,500 lbs, the 3500 max is 16,500 lbs. Truth be known, my guess is that 90% of the trucks out there, both 2500 and 3500 are towing overweight. Each person has to make their own decision on what they are comfortable with. There is risk in anything we do. It comes down to what is and what is not an acceptable risk and we can only make those decisions for ourselves.

nhunter

I have a F-350 SRW. It is legal and I feel safe and secure. I do lots of offroad travel to remote wellsites for work so a daully is out for this kid. If I did go to the dually I would get a F-450. So 10 duallies, a fast 3/4 ton and a regular 1 ton.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well let's see.:cool: 9 replies with dualies 1 ton or larger and 1 reply with a fast 3/4 ton. OK, fine, I'll make it 10. I had a 2500HD the first time I pulled our 3400RL to Texas. After seeing the scale tickets and driving on some pretty crappy roads, I bought our Dually on e-bay while we were in TX and I can say without hesitation, there is a noticable difference. It's your call though.

Happy Birthday Ray...