Cable Internet in Campgrounds

2010augusta

Since we spend two to three months in most of our locations we try to stay in parks with good quality free WiFi, but this time there is only one park in town, and no WiFi. It turns out that since the campground has Time Warner cable service we could get high speed cable internet on a monthly bases. Does anyone else have experience with internet via the campground cable?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Alan and Sandy, I've never been to a park that offers cable Internet service. Most have wifi that sometimes works well, sometimes not. The wiifi service generally drops off when the park fills up and there are many users. Then I switch over to my aircard and router for my own computers.

Last edited:

osims

bsims
We use to have Time Warner at home, there internet service is Road Runner, it is fast but more expensive than an air card was here. It may be cheaper where your at, but that is an option.
Bill

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would rather 'depend' on my aircard than some elses wifi. I know my aircard works and is reliable. Campground wifi is notoriously unreliable and slow as usage increases.

jgallego

When travelling I use the verizon wireless aircard exclusively. It seems everytime I try to use wifi my computer gets hacked. The aircard normally works great.

MC9

cable

We stay at a park in AZ all winter. It has free basic cable, for internet we have to upgrade. So we upgrade to digital and HD and highspeed cable internet. We love it. The park has wi-fi for 25 per month but it is not as reliable.

2010augusta

We use to have Time Warner at home, there internet service is Road Runner, it is fast but more expensive than an air card was here. It may be cheaper where your at, but that is an option.
Bill

What is the REAL cost of using an air card, both up front and monthly. We use the internet a lot, sometimes more than 12 hours a day, so I thought I could actually use to much "data transfer" and incur extra charges. The other problem is we go to small towns (Brownwood and Uvalde Texas for example) were verizon coverage is on extended network and 3g is non-existent, so I don't know if an air card would do anything. Those of you out there using the air-cards please school me.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have an AT$T aircard and got it when you could get unlimited service. So it costs me $59.00 a month for unlimited 3G access. Most of the time I get 3G but occasionally I only get Edge. It is still better than the campground wifi. I have my broadband card hooked into a Cradlepoint 1000 router and that want DW and I can use the internet broadband card at the same time. I have it password protected so it is locked from outside access. The 3G service is great and is availble most places but it is tolerable with just Edge. I do understand now that unlimited contracts are not available but the 5 gig service is fine for most. Those that have a 5 gig contract can speak to that. If you really want the straight of it call Alex at the 3G Store. He is honest and will give you the straight story.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I had an AT&T card on the 5G limit. While in Wyoming, I used 12G one month and 9G the next. Since I was out of AT&T service area, they were going to put me on 'no roaming restriction' - so I could only use it in the AT&T coverage areas. Obviously no good for me so they cancelled my plan. I got an Alltel air card - unlimited data usage - for $60/month. It works great 99% of the time. Worked in nowhere Wyoming and now in nowhere Nebraska.

2010augusta

I bet that plan is gone now that Verizon has bought Alltel. Does any other current wireless company still offer an unlimited plan for new customers?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I got my wife an Alltel air card about a week ago, still unlimited. Was told that when Verizon took over, their unlimited plan would be $99/mo but I would be grandfathered in at my $60/mo rate.