Fueling Station

slb714

Used mine for the first time the other day, heard a loud noise after about 1 min of pumping, looked under at the tank and noticed it was starting to colapse, and I could here the vent line sucking air in, is the vent line just not big enough?? Would taking of my filling cap help this problem, haven't got a chance to check into it yet. HAs anyone else had this problem??

porthole

Retired
Your cap should have a one way vent in it. If removing the cap solves the problem then the cap is bad.

porthole

Retired
Tried my pump for the first time the other day.

Added gas from a 5 gallon can and then pumped it back into the jug to try it.

My tank popped a bit too. Also after pumping 2-3 gallons back into the jug I opened the cap an there was an in rush of air into the tank, followed by the tank pooping.

Maybe these are not vented caps, but that does not make sense.

osims

bsims
I use a transfer tank on my truck with an electric pump and nozzle like the filling stations have. The cap is vented but the pump pulls more pressure than the cap can pull in, i have to remove the cap when i fill up to keep the tank from trying to collapse. I have used these on my last several trucks and they have all been the same, not enough air can get thru the 1/4 inch vent hole.
Bill

porthole

Retired
I think the problem with the caps is that they are "emissions" caps.

One way vent, and it may be small at that.

New cars are sophisticated enough that the engine controller will know if the cap is loose or off the filler neck.

slb714

Tried it again yesturday before bringing it in to the dealership, I turned the cap alittle and it started venting , seems like the cap was just not in the right position..:eek:

truknutt

Committed Member
Back in 2007 crazybanshee posted info for a locking gas cap that fit our Cyclones. I have a 2009 and it fits great without this venting problem.

Here is the link to his post: post here.

I haven't been able to cross reference the part number to, ...saaay, a Stant #. If anyone has that capability, the info may help out some of our fellow MLV (toyhauler) owners that don't have access to a CarQuest store.

Thanks

mxrider39

I have a 3912 and used the fueling station for the first time and I can not get anything to come out of the pump. It just runs and runs and pumps nothing Yes there is enough fuel in the tank any ideas????

truknutt

Committed Member
I have a 3912 and used the fueling station for the first time and I can not get anything to come out of the pump. It just runs and runs and pumps nothing Yes there is enough fuel in the tank any ideas????

Not sure but bear with me...turned on the timer inside the coach, flipped lever on pump itself to actuate...pump is running...have fuel in tank...

I remember reading somewhere (maybe another forum) that someone had this problem and it turned out that the "pickup hose" from pump into tank was either to short for the level of fuel when not completely full or it was to long and actually curled up and above the fuel level. I can't remember which it was or if these were just suggestions.

Possibly the pump isn't priming????

I'll say it for you..."Thank you Dave..you have been absolutely no help whatsoever!"

odiehog

Same problem here. After hurricane Ike hit us last year I thought I would be so clever and fill our gas cans (for the home generator) from the Cyclone and not have to wait in the one hour gas lines. Well, I hadn't tried the pump before this and the switch inside worked fine, and the silver switch on the pump looked good, and it made great "pumping sounds", but no gas flow. Tried on several different occasions with same result.

I'm hoping someone reads this and has some ideas. Bad pump? :confused: