Loss of Hydraulic pressure on the slides

ve1drg

Whats the procedure to deal with the loss of hydraluic pressure on the slides. Wondering in particular if a manual method might get the slides in?
And will it actually work..

2010augusta

What kind of Trailer do you have? Our LM has individual shut-off valves located next to the pump and the pump can be driven by a electric drill if the motor fails. If a hose breaks it can be isolated, but may require repair/replacement before that slide could be moved. You can also access the guides and troubleshooting tips on lipperts web site

ve1drg

What kind of Trailer do you have? Our LM has individual shut-off valves located next to the pump and the pump can be driven by a electric drill if the motor fails. If a hose breaks it can be isolated, but may require repair/replacement before that slide could be moved. You can also access the guides and troubleshooting tips on lipperts web site

SAme trailer as yours. So there is a way to get a drill in there?
I was thinking about that. Also learning fast.. As well I found a bunch of other mails on this subject a few minutes ago.

I was just wondering about such a failure and what would I do if this happened. If you are close to a dealer you just make the call but if not, is where I was coming from..

I am more used to slides driven by electric motors and you just put a wrench of electric drill on this units and the slide moves in or out. With the hydraulics method - things are different..

2010augusta

On the street side of the basement, on the front wall, there should be a access hole and panel to get to the pump. I also just thought if a hose ruptures, you could "borrow" a hose from another slide after it is moved into place. It would be messy and time consuming, but would get you moving again. Personally I think the hydraulic system is much more robust and trouble free than the electric/cable operated systems. I also like that the Augusta has only hydraulic slides and landing gear. Enjoy your rig.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the bedroom hydraulic cylinder spring a leak back in April of this year. I was on the road and luckily I had a friend of ours who had 4 quarts of ATF with him. I put it in the system and got it to work. After I got back home I found where the leak was, called Lippert and they overnighted a new cylinder to us. I then had a RV repair shop (independent) put it in. I had to pay for everything up front but Lippert agreed to reimburse me as it was still in Lippert's warranty. From now on I carry ATF with me just in case. BTW the leak did ruin the carpet in the bedroom which Heartland was kind enough to replace. (Another example of Heartland's great customer service) I also learned an important lesson about the hydraulic system. When the slides got out the system is pressurized. So when we had the leak I would put the slides out, then just bump the IN slide switch to releave the pressure. This would keep it from leaking. The other thing I would do is turn the isolation switches off to keep the fluid from flowing to the slides. It was a pain but kept it working for the short term.