Where to stay in the Outer Banks, NC?

k-f-Indiana

We are planning a vacation for the beginning of Sept, 09 to North and/or South Carolina to campgrounds on the ocean. We're thinking the Outer Banks, as I have read some good reports on this locale. We travel without children or pets, have no need of luxury amenities, like pools and spas, recreation, etc. We go more for the scenery and special sights in the area. Any suggestions on campgrounds from anyone who has stayed in this area? I use the Trailer Life Directory, but there are many choices. Any tips would be appreciated.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We're holding our Heartland rally in late Sept at Camp Hatteras Campground on the lower Outer Banks. We've gotten some great reviews of this campground.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Camp Hatteras and the Koa next door are nice places on the OBX.

Emerald Isle Travel Park in Emerald Isle is very nice. A little more commercialized than Hatteras.

Be warned-the private parks in NC and SC beach area are not cheap.

In SC if you want to stay on the beach, Myrtle Beach Travel Park is just north of MB, much smaller than Ocean Lakes, Pirateland and Lakewood and absolutley beautiful. It is next to a Tanger Outlet mall but you would never know it once you are in the park.

There is also Myrtle Beach State Park, but not the most big rig friendly.

Just south of MB is Huntington Beach State park, Hunting Island state park (cool Lighthouse) and Edisto state park. All three have great scenery and very good sites.

Over the years Huntington Beach has become our favorite for the weekends because of its natural beauty.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
In SC if you want to stay on the beach, Myrtle Beach Travel Park is just north of MB, much smaller than Ocean Lakes, Pirateland and Lakewood and absolutley beautiful. It is next to a Tanger Outlet mall but you would never know it once you are in the park.

Oh yes I would. I'd know it cuz Carol would disappear and come back wanting me to hook a u-haul trailer into the back of the camper to bring back her "little bit" of shopping she's been known to do.
:eek:
Keith

dieselsweetheart

Hi Karen, We have also stayed 2 times at the Camp Hatteras Campground in Rodanthe, site of this years VA rally... we stay on the ocean side. It is nice, ample sites, flat, level sites... nice people... this year when we made reservations we made sure we asked to be closer to the dunes...which we did. (We went in May)...we had nice weather for a day and a half and then storms and high winds moved in). It's pretty windy there on the beach (so no awnings out) and you can have a nice fire on the beach. The beach there is very nice and clean! Not too many people right there either since there are no hotels there. The KOA is right next door, but we like the Camp Hatteras place.

Larry is right, you have to watch the fees as they do increase significantly for the summer season... we always go in mid-May, right before the prices go up the week of Memorial Day.

Much to see in that area too!!

Doxylady

Outer Banks

Hi Karen,
My DH and I are heading to the Outer Banks Labor Day weekend for the week and are staying at Ocean Waves Campground. I LOVE the outer banks and this will be our first time camping there. We checked out the campgrounds the last time we were there 2 years ago and picked this one cuz we like to be as close to the beach as possible. In Myrtle Beach we camped at Apache Campground. We liked that too since it was right on the beach. If you were going to choose....Outer Banks every time for me.

Tami

We are heading to North Carolina in a couple of weeks and have reservations at the Mountain Stream RV Park near Marion, North Carolina. Has anyone ever been to this campground? This is our first trip any further east than St. Louis in our camper.

Larry and Joanna
Our yorkie companions Lizzie and Molly
2010 Big Horn 3055RL
2008 Dodge Diesel Big Horn Edition

k-f-Indiana

Hi Larry & Joanna, I am the OP. We are staying at Mountain Stream RV Park now. It's a beautiful place. Very quiet. A great place to relax. No TV reception, unless you have satellite. No cell phone service until you go back down the mountain to Marion. Lots of shopping, restaurants, etc there. Free wifi at campground fluctuates according to the weather. It has been very cloudy & rainy the last 2 days, no reception. It has cleared off now, so we have had a signal all day, usually an excellent signal.
It's mountain driving about all the way from eastern Tennessee, assuming you are traveling I-40. The last 5 miles before the campground are all curves & mostly climbing (assuming you are traveling 80 from the south). But good 2 lane road, just take your time. There are signs about the campground as you come up, the last one tells you "1 more mile". Watch for the entrance on the right or you'll miss it, and the climb & curves get worse past the campground, and no place to turn around. If you need any more info, just ask. Have fun.

Thank you for the information Karen. The peace and quiet will be nice. We are really looking forward to our trip even more so now.
Joanna

Larry and Joanna
Our two yorkie companions Lizzie and Molly
2010 3055RL Big Horn
2007 Dodge Diesel Big Horn Edition

k-f-Indiana

Thanks to everyone that responded about their experience at campgrounds on the Outer Banks. We weren't sure we were going to make it there, but decided at the last minute to proceed on and drive a long day to get there. By the time we arrived, DH was so tired driving that we pulled in to the first one we came to, Camp Hatteras. We are enjoying it very much. Beautiful beach, plentiful & good seafood, wonderful weather, great camp site; who could ask for anything more? Also, see a Big Horn in the campground. Thanks,