Commonwealth of Virginia Firewood Quarantine

Jim-n-Leslie

Notice for Campers (noted at http://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...Code=VA&parkId=140181&topTabIndex=CampingSpot)

LEAVE YOUR FIREWOOD AT HOME!!
A firewood quarantine has been established for the following localities: counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Fauquier, Louden, and Prince William; and the entire cities of Alexandria, Fairfax City, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park. It is unlawful to transport firewood from these localities. In general, firewood can harbor insect pests under the bark and in the wood. The transport of infested firewood has been identified as a leading cause in the introduction of harmful forest insects into un-infested forest areas. Help us keep our state parks pest free by leaving your firewood at home.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have found many places have these types of restrictions. The best way is to get your firewood AFTER arrival at your destination. This prevents transporting insects to non-native areas and being the cause of a possible infestation.

Bogger

I have found many places have these types of restrictions. The best way is to get your firewood AFTER arrival at your destination. This prevents transporting insects to non-native areas and being the cause of a possible infestation.

Not to mention it's a great new source of revenue to the campground owners. It would appear a lot of them are taking advantage of these new laws... :(

Uncle Rog

I guess we will not be going camping in The Commonwealth of Virginia in the near future.
I have a virtually endless supply of firewood for camping that, as I type, is roasting in the balmy desert sunshine with the humidity at +- 12%, which actually dries the wood below KD levels. Not any bugs left in that stuff.
The only "bark on" wood I burn is in the "cave"...........
The heads up from DJ is well taken, the ag inspection stations on our state lines miss a lot of stuff that causes a lot of damage.............