Bighorn Underbed Storage

Theresau

Is there supposed to be underbed storage in the Bighorns? The brochure indicates there is but our new Bighorn only has about 3 inches of storage. We removed the screwed down cover and there isn't any storage underneath as well.

I searched on this and found some other threads that gave ideas as to how to add storage below the cover; however, again the brochure indicates it is included.

My model is 3410RE

Theresa

SmokeyBare

Do a search on the forum... several have made modifications that increased the storage under the bed. Be aware there are a few different slide systems so what might work for one BigHorn... might need to be adjusted or changed to work on yours. I also have heard additional storage was done by using wire baskets attached to the bed frame.

Good Luck !

2010augusta

Theresa, your probably have a hydrulic ram mounted under the bed, and that takes up a lot of the storage. I you remove the 4 screws that are holding the floor to the current storage, you can carefully remove it and see what you have to work with as far as adding storage.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
We have a 07 BH 2925RK and we have a lot of room under the bed. That is were we store all of the heavy winter blankets.

Butch

sharmulst

We have a fair sized storage area under our bed. Our Bighorn is a 2006 3500RL. The area is 48"x32"x10 1/2" deep and another smaller area that is 8"x32"x10 1/2" deep. I able to store about 4 quilts and several other items. The "safe" is in the smaller area. The safe term is used tongue in cheek, as I wouldn't feel safe putting anything in it. Don't know what I would do without this storage area. The bed is a king size 70x80.
Sharon

jimtoo

When we had the 06 3055 we had a lot of room under the bed for storage. But the newer models use hydrulic rams to open and close the bedroom slide instead of the electric motor that was used on the earlier models. So we end up with only a very limited amout of storage space. There is a post somewhere with pictures showing a cutout and how to gain a little more space under the bed if your a little handy with saws and tools.
Check out this link, it will show you how Smokey got some more storage space.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6964&highlight=under+bed+storage

Jim M

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

Here is a post I made last year on the question...

Link>> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6964

Theresau

We're looking into using some tubs or baskets - there are good-sized openings on each side (13.5") with the wires, etc. in the middle. We'll use the original board to cover the middle.

The openings are smaller because we have the queen bed.

However, Joe reached an exasperation point this am when he realized that the struts were screwed into the top of bed frame meaning that the board under the mattress was resting on the struts rather than on the bed frame - he said he'd noticed that the the mattress was higher at the bottom but it hadn't registered until we stored the bedspread that came with the coach in the 3 inches of space and noticed how the struts were screwed in.