Spooky Camping Experience

Papaw

Papaw--------(Jack)
This past summer we took the eight year old grand-daughter to a remote 50 acre cow pasture for a weekend of dry-camping. Having heard Coyotes or wolves in the night on a previous trip, I took a varment call to possibly call them up for a closer look and get some extra night entertainment.
I had explained how the predator call worked by blowing uneven deep breaths while cupping the end on and off to make it sound like a dying rabbit. She had been practicing and had it down pretty good.
That night we stepped out into the pitch black surroundings and felt around until we found the chairs--not wanting to use the flashlight to scare anything off that might be in the area. After scooting her chair practically in my lap, she decided we needed to be a little more elevated. I said, "well, we can get in the truck and roll the windows down and call them from there". This sounded better, until we got in the truck and rolled down the windows. "How tall do these things get?", she asked. Finally, I said, "I'll tell you what, we will climb up the ladder and get on top of the trailer and call them from there". This sounded like the best suggestion yet, so after stumbling around in the dark finding the ladder, up we went with the caller, flashlight and one scepticle 7 year old.
After positioning ourselves and getting acclimated to the pitch dark, she proceeded to blow away on the varment caller. After about 5 or 10 minutes of the off and on blowing, she just knew she heard something below us and thought it was time to scan with the flashlight. To be honest, what followed even caught me by surprise.
The beam of the flashlight turned the pitch black night into 50 or 60 huge, shinny eyeballs staring up at us from below. I never heard a kid scream like that in all my life. She threw the flashlight off the trailer and put a death grip around my neck with her arms while shaking like a jackhammer.
What had happened is, during the time that we came outside and the time we finally finished blowing the call, about 25 or 30 curious cows had quitely slipped up below and surrounded our position. I finally had to climb down and get another flashlight and show her the cows to help convence her.
I don't know if that kid will ever go outside a trailer after dark again.

Papaw

jbeletti

Jack,

You nearly had me rolling on the floor with that. Poor kid! Funny story though. I'll bet going down that ladder with no flashlight and a field of cows was no picnic for either of you.

I've been camping a year now - no spooky stories to tell yet.

Jim

J

Jeff

Thanks Papaw

Now I'm gonna be dreaming about Coyote Cows all night!

Jeff

J

Jeff

Coyote Cows!

Hi Papaw:

Well, the Coyote Cows didn't get me last night!

That was a great story and my Wife really enjoyed it too.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dusty

Coyotes and dark

Ahhhh Lord,

I laughed at story until my sides hurt. Sounds like a trip I once took with a girlfriend and her 6 yo daugter.

Dusty

Attachments

• IMG_20140726_115928.jpg
    IMG_20140726_115928.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000104.jpg
    IMG_00000104.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 0

JJAK17

Even though this was an old post I just read it and it was great. I can just see that little girl on top of you screaming. Oh by the way how is that little girl? Is she scared for life now? Great story!!!

Papaw

Papaw--------(Jack)
The little girl is 10 now and still loves to go camping, still scared of the dark and when going outside to look at the stars has a hard grip on my hand and a flashlight in the other hand.
Thanks for the comment.

Papaw

tdharley

Thats 5 years of extra therapy for her!!!!!!!

Could you image her telling her therapist about her Grandpa?

C

Chulinw

I took my great nieces and nephews on a snipe hunt out in a corn field and had a great time with them for over a half hour and they still remember it 13 years ago and I am know as the mean old great Uncle. It was funny and we still talk about it when we get to visit with them. Kids are great to have lots of fun with and therapy.

JER-1

Lol

That was funny I hope I have something that good pop up over the next few years with my 2 grandsons LOL.
None

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I took my great nieces and nephews on a snipe hunt out in a corn field and had a great time with them for over a half hour and they still remember it 13 years ago and I am know as the mean old great Uncle. It was funny and we still talk about it when we get to visit with them. Kids are great to have lots of fun with and therapy.

If your to have any luck at all catching snipes , you have to use a burlap sack.;)..Ken

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did have some girlfriends fall for the "ol submarine" races at the beach trick on a date.;) (razor soup does work) Bob:D:D:eek:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
What I would really like to know...if how long it took to pry HIS ARMS from around HER neck...I have been known to scream like a little girl myself during times of great duress.