Difficult to open Refrigerator

Theresau

We're having difficulties opening the refrigerator. There appears to be some sort of "sweet" spot to hit and then we can pull it open. (This is going to kill my nails.......)

We mentioned it during the PDI - they found the sweet spot and said it was just tight.

What are we doing wrong?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ours get harder to open as it gets colder. Here's my completely unscientifically proven idea. If I remember my physics correctly, this could be caused by such a tight seal that the air inside contracts as it cools down creating a vacuum effect inside the refrigerator.

santafedave

Santafedave
tight fridge door

I was camping last weekend in 112 degree heat and my fridge was hard to open to. I think that the seal tightens up as it gets colder and makes it hard to open. D.

SilverRhino

We have the same issue with the freezer in our BC.......I agree with the theory of a vacuum forming due to air temp changes.......usually worse if you close it and then try to open it within a minute or two.....after a short amount of time....door opens without any problem.

Theresau

My travel trailer was like that as well - could tell it was some form of suction issue - this just wouldn't open at all unless I hit the exact sweet spot.

Boca_Shuffles

It's in the handle itself...when you press on it, it just doesn't cause a release as it should.

We just picked up our 2010 Bighorn 3055RL in June and experienced the same problem. The frame of the refrigerator is pressing in just enough that the latch will not disengage easily. It seems that the new Domentics aren't fitting in the frame as well.

The dealer has to pull the unit out in order to correct the frame.

A work around is to have the dealer install a small screw in the frame of the refrigerator and pull the plastic closer to the wood frame. This will give enough clearance for the latch to disengage when you squeeze the handle.

Have your dealer look at it under warranty.

lhetsler

Refer door

When you push plastic clip to open also push in on the door, then pull out. Ours was tight when new, but works fine now.

bigredtruck

We had the same problem on all 3 of the trailers we have owned, but only on the freezer, as I recall. I broke the handle right off on the Cougar. Other folks with SOB's report the same. If you try to open the freezer within a couple of minutes of having it open, it creates a suction. I pull on the bottom of the door itself to avoid breaking the handle.

Theresau

We just picked up our 2010 Bighorn 3055RL in June and experienced the same problem. The frame of the refrigerator is pressing in just enough that the latch will not disengage easily. It seems that the new Domentics aren't fitting in the frame as well.

The dealer has to pull the unit out in order to correct the frame.

A work around is to have the dealer install a small screw in the frame of the refrigerator and pull the plastic closer to the wood frame. This will give enough clearance for the latch to disengage when you squeeze the handle.

Have your dealer look at it under warranty.

That was right on - Joe had already done that before I read your reply (installed the small screw in the frame and removed plastic closer). It worked!!! Latch now disengages great (can have suction as any other but can be disengaged now).

hcriddle

Wish I had read this before my wife broke the handle on the door. I have an appointment to get it fixed in a couple of weeks.

jimtoo

Hi Buddy,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. You will find lots of great people here, willing to help any way they can.

And being a retired LEO does not make you an outlaw. We have a lot of LEO's in the family. Jayc being one also. You just need to tell the wife to take it easy on the appliances, if she needs to vent a little, take her outside and you take the punishment, but not the RV. Replacement handles get expensive.

Jim M

rick_debbie_gallant

I am having one heck of a time opening my freezer. After checking things out the top trim piece is not level. There is a gap of about 1/8 or so inch on one end and about 1/2 inch on the other. The trick that I have found is to apply a great deal of downward force on the handle side of the door. then open the door. The hinge grommet on the handle side of the door is hanging up on the off kilter top trim piece. Got a bunch of other stuff for my dealer to take care of. Will be setting up an appointment tomorrow.

Bobby A

My fridg has been hard to open since day one, I have decided to live with it, we have friends that during travel the fridg door open, created a BIG BIG mess on the floor.
No thanks !!

We have had the same problems with our freezer on our new 2010 3055RL Big Horn. If we do not push on the handle just right the door will not open. We always thought it was the clip. Customer support with Domestic advised us to rub talcum powder around the frame on the gaskets. We have not had a chance to try this out yet. Will let you know if this works for us.
Larry and Joanna
2010 3055RL Big Horn
2008 Dodge Big Horn Diesel 4X4