Never lube bearings vs. standard bearings and MorRyde IS & disc brakes

porthole

Retired
//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon1.gif Never lube bearings vs. standard bearings and MorRyde IS & disc brakes

Because of some of stories here regarding spring issues (quite a few actually, considering there was a "courtesy examination" at the rally) I am considering the MorRyde stuff.

I am going to Elkhart tomorrow to pick up our 3010 Cyclone. This trailer comes with 7K axles.

I am considering the MR IS and disc brakes while I am out there.

Talking with the MR sales rep he thinks the never lube is not a good option with the heavier trailers.

Any experience with this?

I like the idea of minimal maintenance, but my former career was that of a new car technician, so the maintenance is certainly something I am capable of.

Another thought is the Never lube hubs and brakes are Dexter products and use Dexter brake pads.

The standard hubs are Kodiak items and use standard GM brake pads.

I am also considering changing to the 8K IS, but this will depend on how the trailer weighs out when I get there and load it up a bit.

Seems as though most folks on this site are "surprised" :eek: when they actually weigh their Cyclones.

I realize that I am not increasing the GVW of the trailer, but I do expect it to be at or near the 14K GVW it is rated at. The 8K would be a little comfort zone increase (and a $700 non-comfort increase).

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Duane, we just had the Mor/ryde installed on our 3400RL. We did not get the disc brakes nor the never lube bearings. In fact, the spindles on the IS system are not easy lube capable either. I guess forced maintenance will be a good thing. For what it's worth, while I was at Mor/ryde, I saw several axles laying around the shop with melted bearings seized to a spindle. When I asked, I was told they were never lube bearings. You can make you own conclusion/assumption about that. Kind of made me wonder about the never lubes though.:confused:

porthole

Retired
Talking with "Ben" at MorRyde today, he recommends against the Never lube with the heavier trailers.
So I guess I'll save $400.

2010augusta

The never-lube hubs are really can't-lube hubs, they should be similar to the seal unit bearing found on many cars and trucks now. There is no maintenance for them, but WHEN the fail, the entire unit must be replaced at a cost of $200 to $400 dollars apiece. I would keep the rebuild-able and serviceable bearing like the ez-lube and traditional bearings.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have had the Mor-Ryde IS with disc brakes and never lube bearing on my Landmark since March of 2008. We have somewhere around 8000 miles on them without issues. Our rig weighs out at 16000. I had a friend (he recently passed away) who had a Teton weighing 23000 pounds with the IS, disc brakes and never lube bearings and he had over 25000 miles on them without issues. Talk to Gary Wheeler at Mor-Ryde regarding this issue and get his opnion. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone at Mor-Ryde recommend against the never-lube systems.