Air Conditioner Issues

RVFun4Us

Currently in Central Oregon in mid-90 degree day temperatures. Our lone air conditioner is not doing well during the hot part of the day. Fact is that it seems to be running at a very low speed from about 1-7 pm, again during the hot part of the day. At other times, it runs perfectly normal and cools our Big Horn. I was wondering if the air conditioner was not getting full power from the park 50 amp connection but all other electrical appliances are working normally with no circuit breaker or GFCI trips. Again, it runs normal in the morning than seems to power down to a very low speed with very little air output during the afternoon. This has happened three days in a row. Am I looking at a problem with my air conditioner or maybe it just cannot keep up with the hot weather? I did check the filter inside and cleaned it thinking there may be reduced air flow. Did not help. Thanks for any feedback.

Midastouch

After 3 years in my Landmark and just going through temps of over 100 degrees with heat index at 110, I have learned to run my fan on high all day and let the compressor kick on and off as needed to keep the air flowing. I was able to keep my Grand Canyon at 72-75 degrees consistantly, in the heat of the day. I was told long ago that with the humidity we have, to keep the fan on high and let the air conditioner cycle as it needs to. It gets annoying listening to the fan all the time, but it beats the heat and once your temps get up so high, it seems to never cool off till the sun goes down! Just my experience and it has worked here in the HOT, HUMID south and I live in mine!

fhollan

A/C Problem

You might start by pulling all of your A/C duct covers off and see if part of the air flow is going in between the roof and the ceiling. I found that was part of my problem. All but one had that problem. They were not sealed right. I then applied TimK's Invention, another way to improve air flow. After that I replaced the thermostat with a digital. I kept it running for several days while the temperature here was in the lower to mid nineties and it kept the coach very comfortable, in the mid seventies to upper seventies. If you go into a hotter climate, you might want to invest in a second unit for the bedroom. Hope this helps!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I think you have some great suggestions on the cooling part, but as far as the unit slowing down in the afternoon, the park may be experiencing a mini brownout during the hottest part of the day. If too many units are running at the same time, this could account for the slowdown in the unit. HT or some one else that is an electrician may be able to shed more light on this issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Oldltherneck is right on as far as too many units running in the CG. To know for sure use a volt meter and check voltage. On both legs. I you have a Progressive EMS with a remote readout it will tell you what your voltage is and if it is low it will shut down to protect your equipment. Using an Autoformer would increase the voltage if running low. That is one nice feature of the Autoformer. Runnig on low voltage could shorten the life of your equipment.

Peace
Dave

RVFun4Us

Air Conditioner

I did as suggested after reading some other posts and moved fan speed from low to high. Also moved switch from Auto to Fan. Temperature in coach has remained at 75 degrees and lower all day with outside temps in mid 90s. Compared to yesterday when coach was 85 degrees inside, this is heavenly. So will continue with that change. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
All I can say is I must be very lucky. Sitting in Napa County Fairgrounds at a 110 degrees. Set the auto a/c at 72 degrees on high and after 4 hours out it was a dream at 70 degrees inside with one a/c and Timk's invention which pushes air to the bedroom vents strongly and if u shut the down air vent on the a/c the whole rig was sweet and got down to 69 and we had to turn it to low and put on sweatshirts. At a 110 degrees outside. 2 points. Cookie is right about the EMS surge. It worked awesome. Secondly we have a rear entertainment rig without a rear window which saves alot of sun rays. One suggestion, please shut all your windows and dark shades when u leave the rig for the day and use the timk invention. I think u will be surprised at the result.

2010augusta

I leave the fan set on high all the time on both A/C's. I also opened the down vent in the living room, I still get some good flow out of all the ducted vents too. having the down vent open is noisier, but I think we get better cooling. The 13,500 unit in the bedroom has no issues cooling the bed area to any temperature, and the 15,000 in the living room will cycle even when set at 78. we have dual pane windows and the awning deployed to shade the north-west side of the trailer, the rest is shaded by oak trees.