How many of you have upgraded to 8k axles?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have an opportunity to upgrade to 8k axles but am a bit leary. I remember Ken and Kathy having some issues when they got theirs with doors coming open and things moving that didn't move before. What have the rest of you experienced?

Thanks for sharing,
Mark

osims

bsims
Mark
I,m just curious, are you overloaded or having problems with your current set up. I remember Ken discussing his experience with the 8k. i think my weight is ok but your reasons for wanting to upgrade have sparked my interest.
Bill

mrcomer

My issue is that my tires seem to be rubbing on the inside against the shock mount. When Lippert replaced my leaf springs I asked the fella to check why my tires were rubbing and he said that I have short axles and that lippert has made a change and now manufacture a longer axle that may help fix my current problem. Initially the fella added a shim to both off-door side wheels. By the time I got home the door side rear wheel was starting to rub. Bummer dude. Lippert has been very nice to work with and are currently helping me deal with this.

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0257.JPG
    100_0257.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_0255.JPG
    100_0255.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I want to thank Lippert components Inc, in helping replace my axles and springs. I had my springs replaced at the Rally (Goshen 2009). The springs lasted over 3 weeks. I called Lippert and explained the situation. It was within three days a Lippert repairman stopped at our house. Jerry Burkett (repairman for Lippert) did not have all the parts needed to repair my unit. Jerry and I discuss what should be done. The following week, Jerry came back and fixed by fifth wheel. He had 8,000 pound springs to replace the 7,000 pound and also found out Lippert put the wrong axles on the first 30 units made. Should have been the longer axles to accept the mags. He replaced the axles. These axles give a little more clearance between the shocks and the wheels. At this time I would like to give Lippert and Jerry Burkett a bit Thank You.
campdually
Heartland Owner's Club # 1191
2009 BH 3670
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 auto

2010augusta

Mark, I would be cautious of going to 8,000 pound springs, due to the extra shaking that has been reported, but if you could keep 7,000 pound springs and swap to 8,000 pound axles, that could make a good combo. Our Augusta has lots of options and a lot of stuff in the basement and our axle weight is only 13,120 even with all the tanks about half full. the 7,000 pound stuff should be fine, but get the longer axles. Ours has no clearance issues.

Niles

Mark, we went with the 8k, and have had no issue with them. However it is the Mor Ryde IS. We are not heavy either, around 12k combo on axles, just a peace of mind for me, and very tried of replacing bent springs from lippert. And with that I'll let the dead horse alone.:rolleyes:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, I think the 8k springs would be OK on the Landmark due to the fact that it's pretty heavy anyway. It's too bad they can't use a longer spring that would give a softer ride but still carry the weight. I know at the rally seminar in Houston, Gary Wheeler cautioned against getting too stiff of a spring which in turn would do more harm than good to the trailer itself. My only experience with springs comes from Off Road Racing. Completely different situation, I know.

mrcomer

Thank you all for your input. I am still not really sure what I want to do. I had considered mixing the 8k axles with 7k leaf springs. Just do not know. I always have liked being over engineered versus under engineered but I don't like thinking that my rig may shake apart. Maybe not. If I could afford to maybe include the centerpoint suspension I wouldn't hesitate to do 8k axles and leaf springs. I'll let you know what happens when I know.

Thanks again for listening,
Mark

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Mark...the centerpoint really took care of our "stiffness" problem with the 8K springs. The ride now is just as good as it was before, but now the springs don't look like they are going to go flat like the 7K springs did almost immediately. We put almost 3,500 miles on the new springs and all looks really good now! The CP cost $1,175 plus about $250 for labor and so far I'm really glad we did it. My understanding is it will also help the longevity of the spring packs too...hope they're right.

Delaine and Lindy

We didn't upgrade to 8,000 axles our Mobile Suite came equiped with the 8,000 axles. We also have the center point suspension, this is the second 5th wheel we have had the center point suspension. So for the system seems to work very well. Our MS when loaded as we travel, which is very little stuff, we learned when we were full timing that we hauled a lot of stuff that wasn't needed, the MS weight is 15,500 + or - and we have no movement inside we never tie anything down and leave items on the counter. So I think the spring issue should be well researched. The thousands of 5th wheels that are on the road you would think that there would be more issues however its seems as though in the last few months there seems to be more issues? Don't know why, I'm on several different forums and also on the Freightliners Haulers Club now and it seem like the Hearland and Montana Forums there seems to be more issues in the last few months about the suspension problems, and I'm not picking on the two brands I have owned both. I do think as kakampers said that the Center point suspension is a great upgrade, and the price is reasonable . Good Luck on you choices. GBY....

mrcomer

Today was the day

Well it happened today. Jerry B. from Lippert components came down to the campground just 20 minutes from my house and replaced my axles with longer ones. My tire rubbing issue should be finished now. Everyone from Lippert that I dealt with have been fantastic. Pam, Lisa, Don and Jerry especially for driving all the way down here and swapping them out right at the campsite. Couldn't be happier or more pleased. Fortunately they elected to not upgrade the leaf springs and I concurred. Especially since they had already replaced them in June of this year. Jerry took one look at them and said they are just fine. Of course there were all the looky lou's wanting to find out what the heck was going on.

Mark