HDMI Cable Limitation

Boca_Shuffles

we just got our 2010 Bighorn 3055RL with the Samsung entertainment Center and Samsung TV. I learned that if you usea HDMI cable to connect two, you won't be able to listen to CDs if the TV isn't powered on. If you only watch DVDs this won't be a problem.

I used a Red-Green-Blue cable instead and can listen to Music CDs ithout the TV being on.

sometimes having too much intelligence in our electronics can be a limitation.

jbeletti

Are you saying that by using the HDMI cable to connect your TV to your Samsung surround system, that you cannot hear CDs play through the surround speakers or through your TV's speakers?

Theresau

I will test a CD; however, I have viewed/listened to DVDs and I am getting sound from the surround system - not the TV.

When viewing the TV via the antennae, I am getting sound from the TV.

Theresau

we just got our 2010 Bighorn 3055RL with the Samsung entertainment Center and Samsung TV. I learned that if you usea HDMI cable to connect two, you won't be able to listen to CDs if the TV isn't powered on. If you only watch DVDs this won't be a problem.

I used a Red-Green-Blue cable instead and can listen to Music CDs ithout the TV being on.

sometimes having too much intelligence in our electronics can be a limitation.

This is in the owner's manual for the surround sound system. To listen to the surround speakers instead of the TV when hooked up through HDMI, you would select menu from the surround sound system remote (no DVD/CDs playing) and then select Audio and then scroll down to about the last option - HDMI - and then select off. Your sound will now come from the surround system instead of the TV and you would be able to listen to CDs without turning on the TV. You would also have great sound through the surround sound system if watching DVDs.

I just tested - works great.

Theresa

nemo45

I have the TV sound hooked up to the Samsung surround sound via rca plugs and aux input. If I hook up the TV to the surround sound with an HDMI cable wiil the TV sound go thru the surround sound as it does when I'm hooked up with the rca plugs aux input?

Boca_Shuffles

Theresa, thanks for the information. It still seems like a lot of work to change back and forth.

I originally wanted to improve the picture on the TV when viewing DVDs, hence the connection via the HDMI cable. But without your information on how to disable the HDMI, the music CD would stop whenever I turned the TV off.

The Home Center is only rated at 780p video and I think the TV is only 780p. On my home Charter cable HD box, they only support the RGB for 1080 HD. My home TV is sharper than the flat screen in the RV.

So if you use the RGB connection rather than the HDMI connection, you will get just as good video and don't have use your remote as much.

As for the other question, I believe the Entertainment Center HDMI connection is output only. So I don't think you can have sorround sound from the TV through the Home Center via the HDMI connection. Please let me know if I am incorrect on this also because I am just trying these options out myself.

PS you can get HDMI and RGB cables on ebay for about $5.00 to $7.00. This is much cheaper than $40 at the retail stores.

Bobby A

Theresa, thanks for the information. It still seems like a lot of work to change back and forth.

I originally wanted to improve the picture on the TV when viewing DVDs, hence the connection via the HDMI cable. But without your information on how to disable the HDMI, the music CD would stop whenever I turned the TV off.

The Home Center is only rated at 780p video and I think the TV is only 780p. On my home Charter cable HD box, they only support the RGB for 1080 HD. My home TV is sharper than the flat screen in the RV.

So if you use the RGB connection rather than the HDMI connection, you will get just as good video and don't have use your remote as much.

As for the other question, I believe the Entertainment Center HDMI connection is output only. So I don't think you can have sorround sound from the TV through the Home Center via the HDMI connection. Please let me know if I am incorrect on this also because I am just trying these options out myself.

PS you can get HDMI and RGB cables on ebay for about $5.00 to $7.00. This is much cheaper than $40 at the retail stores.

My son re hooked the samsung combo with HDMI & optical cables, I can watch TV, DVD, CD or watch a movie on Satellite receiver and can have the surround sound on. I don't have to have the TV on when just listening to a CD. I have noticed if I'm watching a movie through the surround sound I have to turn the TV volume down so I don't get an echo.

Last edited:

Theresau

If you have the Samsung 530 TV - it is definitely 1080p.

The surround sound DVD player is I believe 1080i - it is not blu ray which is 1080p (I added a blu ray to the trailer as I have this at home and we have blu ray movies and frankly, it's just too wonderful to live without when we're on the road - got a good sale at Walmart...).

HDMI is definitely two way and as I'm sure you know it is digital. This gives you a true digital DVD picture which is very clear in comparison to using analog rca or component cables. I was really amazed when I tested Trains, Planes and Automobiles - we'd never had a regular DVD player that was HDMI. I tested with component (had those already) and then HDMI - difference was remarkable.

You shouldn't have to change anything back and forth through the remote unless you wanted to hear the sound from the TV for some reason when using the DVD/CD player rather than from the surround sound speakers.

On the lighter side, we now have 3 Samsung remotes that can be a bit confusing at times to say the least.......

Hope this helps.

Theresa

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Must be a newer/different Samsung player. Mine is a HT-X20 and does not have HDMI ports, or even an audio out port. Found out about the latter (the hard way) after getting a wireless speaker set to use with it. Have to use a personal CD player or MP-3 player to listen outside. The Jensen TV does have HDMI inputs, though.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Must be a newer/different Samsung player. Mine is a HT-X20 and does not have HDMI ports, or even an audio out port. Found out about the latter (the hard way) after getting a wireless speaker set to use with it. Have to use a personal CD player or MP-3 player to listen outside. The Jensen TV does have HDMI inputs, though.

I ran into the same problem. The televison has HDMI ports but not the Samsung player. I was really disappointed that in an '09 they would not have a player with HDMI, especially with a 42" televison.

Delaine and Lindy

We have 5 Samsungs TV's and all have HDMI ports, don't remember the numbers but the are 19", 32", 40" and 46". However I don't use the HDMI on the living area TV don't know how it will work or if it would, I can play music without TV being on. As high tech as everything is it seems as thought the RV industry is still having to catch up. We do prefer the Samsungs, and have had very good luck with them. And we did order the Samsungs in the 2010. GBY....

mmomega

AnyTimer
Just tossing this out as it may solve some people's problems may not.

1st Monoprice.com ... THE cheapest place to buy any cable.. period. At least that I've found, quick on delivery. I think easier than ebay.

2nd ... Some of the earlier HDMI cables can only carry video signals v1.0 and v1.3+ will carry audio and video signals. Found this out by buying a cheap HDMI cable at FRY's and after a lot of troubleshooting found out we bought a v1.0 set.

If you're like me I don't much care for the sound from the TV itself, with a decent surround sound system you get a much better experience. So I go into my TV audio settings and turn off the TV sound and set it to output only which pushes all audio signals that go to the TV directly to the sound system.

porthole

Retired
Theresau;80349 HDMI is definitely two way and as I'm sure you know it is digital. This gives you a true digital DVD picture which is very clear in comparison to using [U said:
analog rca or component cables[/U].

Just for a little clarity - RCA is the type of connector (typical push on with center pin)
You may have Composite cables with RCA plugs
or
Composite cables with RCA plugs
They are not the same

Most of our trailers came with "composite" cables for the AV systems. These are typically 3 cables bundled together, a left and right audio (red and white) and a video cable (yellow)

Component cables will be 3-5 cables bundled. 3 cables separating the luminance and color (these will be labeled red, blue & green) and if equipped left and right audio cables.

Composite video is limited to 480i, which by the way just happens to be standard DVD format, same as “S-video”.

Component is capable of 1080P the standard now for what we watch including BluRay.
Component only carries video and you still need the audio cables.

HDMI is also “standardized” at 1080P, but is capable of a bit more. HDMI also carries the audio signal is was designed to be a one stop shopping solution. The purist will tell you that HDMI outdated when it was introduced, but this is what we have today.

Component is an analog signal while HDMI is a digital signal.
The result of passing your signal from your DVD to the TV is the same – they are both equal in output quality, 1080P. HDMI is just simpler to use.

BTW a $125 name brand HDMI cable will not give any better results then a $20 cable, or for that matter the “free” cable included with most AV stuff from Costco.

1st Monoprice.com ... THE cheapest place to buy any cable.. period. At least that I've found, quick on delivery. I think easier than ebay.

Great source of info and cables in any length you may need as short as 1 foot.
Plus a good place to get HDMI right angle adapters.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/