Public Parking Lot Ban

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
OVERNIGHT Public Parking Lot Ban

:eek:Thought everyone would be interested in this ban the state of Maine is trying to pass. http://rvtravel.com/mainervban.shtml is the link to read about it. If it passes I think RVers should boycott Maine to let the know the financial impact RVers have on their economy. (My opinion) Remember if this passes no more parking your RV OVERNIGHT in public parking lots such as Wal-Mart

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Jim,

The wording in the proposed would ban overnight parking in public parking places. I think you accidently omitted the word overnight.

smildrum

If you look at the date of the article (May 7, 2009)- it is old news. This was shot down and no longer an issue.

jmgratz

OK thanks, guess I am behind on my reading. This does seem to be a reoccurring issue though. I don't know why our various legislators want to meddle in a private business's affairs. I a business wants to let RVers park on their parking lot overnight it is that business's affair, not the state legislator. We all, as RVers, need to watch this issue.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I can understand why the issue gets brought up. In Bellingham Wa. the Walmart allows RVers to stay there. But they don't regulate the time limit as well as they should. So some people are practically living there. Not only that, but they hang out their laundry and some do not do very good with the upkeep of their rigs. I have gone there to shop and it looks like a refugee camp. The Walmart sits on the one of the main highways coming from Canada, so it doesn't do much for the image of the town.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've read some articles about the subject and it seems where local politicians are pushing these kind of ordinances you can find a campground owners association with their hand up the politician's keister. Like a puppet show. But, if overnighters turn into semi-permanent residents and trash the place, restricting or eliminating the practice may be appropriate. Free is nice, but if WalMart's charged some nominal fee or had some other means to enforce the rules, the homesteaders and slobs might move on.

2010augusta

Back in June, I saw a SOB parked in a Wal-mart parking lot for at least 3 weeks. I don't know how they were boon-docking that long, or if they just left it there as temporary storage lot. It never moved and stayed hitched up to the truck.

As with all things, it is sad the a few bad apples can spoil thing for the rest of us that follow the rules. I have had to fight this with recreational land use and keeping trails open to take the Jeep out on, and now we have to fight off the damage being done by RVers with no etiquette.

jmgratz

The Escapee website www.escapees.com has an parking lot boondocking rules. You can print this and put it on the window of one of those inconsiderate people or give it to then explaining how they can mess up a good thing for the rest of us.

2010augusta

The Escapee website www.escapees.com has an parking lot boondocking rules. You can print this and put it on the window of one of those inconsiderate people or give it to then explaining how they can mess up a good thing for the rest of us.

Could you post a copy of the document or a link directly to it. I am having trouble navigating the site and finding it. Thanks