Connecting to house power

Golferkids

We are going to be visiting relatives and parking several nights in their drive. Is it ok to reduce the 50 amp connection down and plug into a regular gfi outlet? can we run the AC off it or will we blow something out?
We have a 50 to 30 amp dogleg, a surge protector which reduces to a 3 prong (from a previous camper) and an adaptor to a 3 prong household outlet. We have a Cyclone 3950 with a generator but don't want to upset the neighbors by running it all the time. Thank you for your help.

2010augusta

You can't run the A/C, they take about 25 amps the run. I trip the house circuit with the convection oven. 15 amp is good for one regular appliance, not an entire "house" sorry.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You MIGHT be able to get by if that outlet were on a 20 amp breaker. The a/c would be the only thing you would be able to use. For sure any other appliances running would trip the breaker in the house. You should not use any additional extension cords because it will add resistance which equals heat which will in turn use more amps and pop goes the breaker. I suggest using the house outlet but go without the a/c.

Golferkids

We would be running only the AC as a major appliance. The refer can run on gas as well as the water heater. I'll have to check and see if their outlet is on a 20 amp.
thx for the input!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add my two cents here. Ray is right in that your will need at least a 20 amp dedicated circuit. If you can plug your shore cord into the house without any other extension cord, you should be able to run your AC. I have run mine for weeks like that. Untill my wife turned on the microwave or some other appliance that is .
Let us know what finally worked for you.

Peace
Dave

Golferkids

We tried the house power and were ok until we wanted coffee in the morning! One too many things running. WeEnded up using the generator to power the trailer while we were cooking. We forgot it is cooler up north and generally other than the middle of the day it was plesant to just run the fantastic fans to keep the trailer at a comfortable temp. Thanks for all the advice!

wdk450

Shed AC power loads

I would consider turning off the breaker for your 12 volt power converter and running the 12 volt loads off of battery as much as possible. Also turn off your AC water heater and run your refrig on propane. This MIGHT make you able to run your air conditioning.

porthole

Retired
I did exactly this for 2 years before adding a RV outlet. Just the AC is usually fine. Kept the the Fridge on too. Obviously the coffee pot and hot water heater are a bit much.

The converter should be fine as long as you keep your 12volt load to a minimum.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If anyone in the family is at all "electricaly inclined", you can get the parts for a 30amp RV outlet at HD or Lowes for around $15 bucks (the only unique part is the outlet itself - box, wiring, and circuit breaker are standard). Took about an hour to put mine in - and I'm slow - especially with electricity.

caissiel

I was at a park with only one 20Amp conn. and plugged mine in. I felt the line was to long from the main breaker and I never even tryed the A/C. I have my unit wired for 2nd A/C, so I will put in a 11,000 BTU unit in. I had a 13,500 BTU unit in my lest trailer and never had problems using it on a 15Amp Connection with the Converter on. Our mistake we did not have the unit installed on when we purchased.

porthole

Retired
I was at a park with only one 20Amp conn. and plugged mine in. I felt the line was to long from the main breaker and I never even tryed the A/C. I have my unit wired for 2nd A/C, so I will put in a 11,000 BTU unit in. I had a 13,500 BTU unit in my lest trailer and never had problems using it on a 15Amp Connection with the Converter on. Our mistake we did not have the unit installed on when we purchased.

Now I'll have to post a pic of our hookup this past week :eek:

jolar3329

When I plug my 2009 Big Horn 3670 into a 20 amp GFI circuit it pops the GFI. If I plug into a non GFI 20 amp circuit it is fine. Naturally the dealer said something is wrong with my GFI circuit, (both that I tried).

porthole

Retired
When I plug my 2009 Big Horn 3670 into a 20 amp GFI circuit it pops the GFI. If I plug into a non GFI 20 amp circuit it is fine. Naturally the dealer said something is wrong with my GFI circuit, (both that I tried).

GFI's go bad ...............

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are talking about a GFCI on a pedistal they will usually not run the coach on 20amp without tripping.

Golferkids

Visiting

The post was in reference to visiting someone with no shore power hookup. I think it would have been a bit much to ask them if we could install our own outlet for our visit. thank you for all the replies though.:p