How to "de-flap" an electric awning.

2010augusta

Anyone have a clever idea to keep the fabric of the electric awnings from flapping. I have the awning frame stabilized with stakes and rope, but want to keep the wind from damaging the fabric. My best idea so far is to buy a couple of the awning rafters and install them at the edge of the fabric and use traditional style de-flapping clamps. What else is out there?

tmcran

I'm not sure what good it is I have only unrolled it once during PDI. West Texas winds don't do much for things that flap.:)

imchud

Alan,
I own a 2009 3385 with electric awning, and your correct about the flapping, its a pain in the rear. I had an electric awning on my old unit and I had a center awning support with a tensioning arm installed. It's a cup that holds the center of the awning when traveling to keep it from bouncing and bending the awning tube over time. the tensioning arm hangs down and can be locked to the side of your unit while traveling or removed and put into your storage bin. When the awning is out you extend the center support, the end of the arm has a small pin sticking out that locks into the tube with a small drilled hole. after the awning is out and the tensioning arm is in place you simply adjust the tension device on the side of the tensioning arm and it pushes against the tube and takes all the slack out of the fabric, it works great... The draw back is you can't retract the awning until you remove the brace, which only takes about two minutes, and I only used it when the win was strong. I have not yet installed it on my new unit but when I take it off site at the end of this camping season I'm going to... You can purchase them from camping world, good luck

Tommy