Childproofing

rl7greg

Picking up my M22 on Saturday.... We went to have a look today and found a few things we need to fix before our 1 and 2 year old are let loose inside

- the electrical breaker box is at floor level and you push on it to open and there are wires exposed to little hands.
- the slide control is at eye level for a 1 year old by the door
- the slot load cd player is just begging kids to put quarters in it ;-)

Any ideas to fix those?

A few other easily fixed things like outlet covers and cupboard latches we can easily fix, it's just those 3 above I'm not sure on.

Last edited:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Duct Tape works 100% of the time! :D:eek:

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4485&stc=1&d=1248454901

Attachments

• Redneck Time Out 1.JPG
    Redneck Time Out 1.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 187

kampfirekid

Picking up my M22 on Saturday.... We went to have a look today and found a few things we need to fix before our 1 and 2 year old are let lose inside

-the electrical breaker box is at floor level and you push on it to open and there are wires exposed to little hands.
- the slide control is at eye level for a 1 year old by the door
- the slot load cd player is just begging kids to put quarters in it ;-)

Any ideas to fix those?

A few other easily fixed things like outlet covers and cupboard latches we can easily fix, it's just those 3 above I'm not sure on.

On RV.net some addressed the same thing with the slide switch. If I recall, someone put a locking thermostat box around it. Another thing you could do is to put another flip-style switch in the hot lead to the motor somwhere between the factory switch and the motor (maybe just by th motor ). You may have to move a cushion or open a door, but at least you can shut power off to the factory slide switch when needed. A few extra steps could set you at ease, and it wouldn't be really inconvenient for your comfort and peace of mind.

The breaker door comes off easily. A simple hasp bolted through the door, or a simple keyed latch like is on your exterior storage doors would work wonders. At worst, a few pieces of wood ripped down (stained) and attached to your cabinet could hold a keyed access door over the panel.

I'll try to explain another solution:

Mount two pieces of wood blocking on the panel/cabinet - on on the face of the panel door and one on the panel frame. The blocks will be stacked one over the other with just enough room between them to allow the block on the door to pass the other when the door is opened. The blocks can be small 1/2" square cubes, or smaller, if desired. One block opens with the door, the other stays on the cabinet. Keep the door closed. Then, drill a simple hole down vertically all the way through the top block and half way into the block below when the door is fully closed. Now, cut a simple metal rod or pin that fits loosley in the hole such that the rod (or pin) is flush with the top of the top block when inserted in the drilled hole. Now, the door won't open because the pin is passing through one block and into the second. To remove, keep a magnet nearby. Touch the magnet to the top block to pull the loose pin out. Now, the door will open.

As for the CD player, I'd make a simple band of wood or metal that was hinged on one end to the cabinet (stained, as well), and use the same locking principal described above to lock the band in place. When needing to access the CD port, or even the entire electronic device, pull the pin with a magnet and open the thing up.

I know it probably sounds complicated, but, really, it's easy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I agree with all of the above. Of course a sock works well with the duct tape, it muffles the load noises from a small child. "No" always worked at my house and maybe a lite thump on the fingers went with it. Anyway good luck with the small children. Glad its you and not me, done my time, have 9 grand kids.....we send them home full of candy and soda. It's our turn to get even. Cant hear all the noise from our house. Hope you enjoy your new coach. Believe me the small ones will be fine, you may not be, but they will. BTW, 2 of ours were concieved while camping. Must be something in the water. Bob:D

tnhbush

My 2 year old

I just returned from my first trip in my NT 31qbs and I can say my 2 1/2 year old found the fuse box in 5 minutes flat. I'll be looking into locking it down so he does not get in. I'll let you know if I find a good solution. At this point I'm thinking may be adding a lockable turn latch like the kind found on the outside doors. I'll need to look at in closer.

HT funny pic. I like Velcro better.:D

rl7greg

I just put one of these on the fuse box:
http://www.lnt.com/show_product/83204/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=83204
It's meant for a refrigerator door, but seems like it will be fine, and was a quick, cheap solution. The flexible end I attached to the top (slightly curved) part of the fuse box, and the part with the clip is on the door. Not sure if the fuse box in mine is the same as yours... I'll add pictures soon.

Also used these for most of the lower cabinets:
http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...s/Details/1893-48444-Wide-Grip-Latches-7-Pack

Here's a pic of the radio and the slide switch (the other switch there is the outside light, which I'm not so concerned with)
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4211&d=1244701987

I haven't been able to find a thermostat box that would fit in the space where the slide switch is, but I think I might be able to move the switch to inside the cabinet below, and then just put a sticker or something over the hole that's left. I think that might be the best solution.

As for the CD player, I was thinking of putting a full height cabinet door in that spot, mounted out an inch or so, replacing the door below, and covering the radio. But I think I might just put electrical tape over the slot for now, (and avoid the duct tape mess on the wall) ;-), as my CD collection is on MP3's now anyways. The radio's USB slot can take a 4GB flash drive apparently - I'd love to find a micro sized flash drive like this in the US or Canada - http://www.geekstuff4u.com/buffalo-4gb-5mm-thumbkey.html?___store=en

Last edited:

tnhbush

items

That will work. I like the idea of the fridge latch but my kid can open them. He has not figured out the cabinet latches yet. You would think you could move the radio to the high opening on the top left of the attached photo. On my model it is placed up there in the bottom opening.

rick_h

Another thought for the tip out switch - It will have likely 3 wires - a common power then an in and an out. If you wire in series with the common feed, a second enable/disable switch and put it inside the cabinet you could disable the outer switch when you have young ones around.

rl7greg

Another thought for the tip out switch - It will have likely 3 wires - a common power then an in and an out. If you wire in series with the common feed, a second enable/disable switch and put it inside the cabinet you could disable the outer switch when you have young ones around.

Just thought I would update this. All I did was take out the radio and moved the slide switch to be accessible on the inside top of the cupboard by the door (which I have a child lock on). 4 screws to pull out the radio, 2 screws to take out the slide switch and disconnct the telephone cable on the back of it, a sharp knife to cut a similar size hole in the 1/4 inch thick balsa-type plywood oth the top of the cupboard and screwed the switch back in there and connceted the cable, put the radio back in and covered over the hole on the outside with a blank wallplate.

That was the last bit of childproofing left in my trailer....was so nice to get it all done