2008 NT - Slide Leak

NSNorthtrail

Had my brand new 2008 28BHS(it was a left over) delivered on Monday of this week. Major rain storm on Wednesday. Got home from work and went in to the trailer. It was SOAKED!! Counter was covered, Floor was covered. It was awful. The unit was perfectly level I might add. I then proceeded to bring the slide inn and the water started gushing in the camper from both over and through the cabinets as well as the sides of the slide. I couldn't believe it!! I called my dealer (4 hrs away) right away. They came the next morning and picked it up (Yesterday). The cabinets all all water damaged and swelled. It is also leaking through the over the sink window. My camper is only 3 days old when this has happened. My wife and I are completely in shock. My confidence in this product has diminished to zero and we don't even want it anymore. I know it is warranty and it will be fixed but still.....3days old and something this major occurs?? It sure does not feel like a new camper anymore.

davebennington

If the dealer has the unit I sure they will contact Heartland and get the right people involved. I know you feel down right now, but Heartland stands behind their products and I believe they will make every effort to correct the problem.

Good luck in resolving the problem, keep us informed.

Dave

Cyncwby

I don't care what they do, with as much water damage that you say was done then it will NEVER be like new. Tell them you want your money back!!!!!

kampfirekid

Our 2009 31BHD is in at the "factory" right now for service on several issues, but the one closest to your issue is that our slides leaked and one delaminated enough that the base floor needs to be replaced. I initiated the call to Heartland after our dealer did not take care of business. To date, I have been in contact directly with Heartland Warranty Service several times since the trailer went in two weeks ago, and although we haven't picked it up yet, Heartland has been working with us without a question. I am very satisfied that Heartland listens to their customers,a nd feel that our trailer will return better than new.

Good luck. I suggest you call Heartland direct and get involved if you are not 100% sure your dealer will take care of business. Heartland will work directly with you and does not need to go through your dealer. I typed "factory" above because Heartland does not do the repairs themselves, unless MAJOR issues are a part of it. They have an authorized service center a few miles from their headquarters that takes care of trailers.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I have to ask. Was the trailer on the dealers lot being displayed with the slide open? I know the dealers here have units on display and the slides are always open. I can't imagine it hadn't been exposed to rain before you picked it up so what would there be that was different and allowed all of that water to enter the trailer? I'm not trying to say you did something wrong but there had to be something different than the way it's set up on the dealers lot??

NSNorthtrail

Hi Ray,
The trailer was displayed with the slide open of course. The only thing I can think of is it could have been tilted slightly the other way thus not allowing the water to enter. It went to the dealer yesterday. They called me late in the day and informed me that a whole seal piece was missing on the roof of the slide. The rubber on the roof of the slide was was butt ended into the wood strip of the cabinents instead of the rubber continuing up over the wood piece thus sealing it and basically sending the water back outside. Not sure if I am explaining it right. The dealer said it must have come from the factory like this. I am still in shock!!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
I am with Ray on this. Maybe the dealer is hiding somthing. A 08 model has for sure seen rain in the past. Get heartland involved and push dealer for a new replacement.

Good Luck,Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi Ray,
The trailer was displayed with the slide open of course. The only thing I can think of is it could have been tilted slightly the other way thus not allowing the water to enter. It went to the dealer yesterday. They called me late in the day and informed me that a whole seal piece was missing on the roof of the slide. The rubber on the roof of the slide was was butt ended into the wood strip of the cabinents instead of the rubber continuing up over the wood piece thus sealing it and basically sending the water back outside. Not sure if I am explaining it right. The dealer said it must have come from the factory like this. I am still in shock!!
I think the best option at this point is to hope the dealer does you right. Give them a few days to contact Heartland and if you have no satisfaction by mid-week, take it upon yourself to intervene and contact the factory directly. For now, your post is in the right place. Heartland should see this soon (Monday) and respond. Remember when you contact the factory to have your VIN available.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Personally, I would call Heartland Service and talk to Jim Fenner about your issue. Make sure the dealer has contacted Heartland. Dealers are notorious for telling stories and taking parts from a new for sale unit to fix a customers unit and not replacing the parts they 'borrowed'. I am not saying that is what happened in this case but I would make sure Heartland is involved.

NSNorthtrail

Resposne to Ray's comment about when I picked it up....It was actually delivered to my house. I was never at the lot where the unit was kept.

jmgratz

Try these numbers...Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
eMail Heartland Service

Also I would like to point out that the dealer should have done a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) with you and that out of probably caught your problems. It is really the dealer responsibility to catch these types of problems. Sounds like for all you know it could have been leaking on the dealers lot and he cleaned it up so you couldn't tell before he delivered. Maybe I am misunderstanding though.

NSNorthtrail

Jim G,
Thanks for the #'s. AS far as the delivery inspection goes.....A driver brought the unit down to me. He went over a few things (awning, a/c)but was not knowledgeable about the unit at all. I ask several questions he could not answer. I refused to sign the pre-inspection sheet. I guess I should have known what I was getting. Shame on me for trusting the dealer and buying a camper I never saw. I thought bcause it was brand new what could go that horribly wrong. I have had 2 new campers (starcrafts) before and yes there were some growing pains and minor tweaks but nothing prepared me for what happened to this unit.......

fordtech 2008

i have noticed on our 28bhs that the rubber on top of the slide does not come out like it is suppose to. I get up there on a ladder and check it each time i put it out and make sure the seal is laying right.

NSNorthtrail

I have to admit I am very disappointed with not having a reply from the Heartland Factory Staff. I thought that they would reply in this forum or attempt to contact me. I guess I did make the wrong choice in my rv purchase all around. After having 2 new Starcrafts the last 4 yrs with very mininmal wrinkles and great service and I am paying for it now. A 3 day old Heartland Northtrail 28BHS 'LEMON' with zero support from the Heartland Factory. Thanks Heartland for nothing...........

jmgratz

I have to admit I am very disappointed with not having a reply from the Heartland Factory Staff. I thought that they would reply in this forum or attempt to contact me. I guess I did make the wrong choice in my rv purchase all around. After having 2 new Starcrafts the last 4 yrs with very mininmal wrinkles and great service and I am paying for it now. A 3 day old Heartland Northtrail 28BHS 'LEMON' with zero support from the Heartland Factory. Thanks Heartland for nothing...........

Have you tried calling customer service. You won't have to wait for a electronic reply. Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

jbeletti

NSNorthtrail,

There are issues with your NT - for sure. If you need to reach Heartland, please contact Heartland directly. As there was no real question in your thread, it was put/left in this sub-forum. In terms of the change of thread title, changes are routinely made by admins and moderators to best reflect the the issue described. Product owners on this forum are typically eager to make suggestions and help each other out. My having a clear thread title like "2008 NT - Slide Leak", it narrows it right down. Those not interested in such a thread or having nothing to offer can save time and skip it. Those who have an interest or are willing to make a suggestion/comment know to stop and read it.

Who did you leave a message for at Heartland and at what phone number? If you can get me this information, I can make a call to to see if we can get that return call made to you ASAP.

Jim

NSNorthtrail

I apologize for my earlier comments regrading the Heartland company. I am very frustrated at the situation and ended up spewing out words that could have been more constructive indeed. I received a call from Matt Cameran today from Heartland. Matt was EXCELLENT!! He put my mind at ease and dealt with every issue I put before him. He made contact with the dealer (who has the camper) and went through the steps on how to correct the issue. Although it is a temporary fix(it will be going back in at the end of the camping season to get new cabinents and a perm repair kit put on) Matt seemed satisfied that what the dealer had done will seal up the trailer for the time being. Although I amstill rattled over this issue, I am very excited to get my unit back tomorrow. We are heading out Friday for a 2 week trip. Wish us luck!!!