How long to recharge batteries

silverfox

We are currently camp hosts at Pawnee Campground in Colorado (no electricity) and must use our 2 Honda generators to recharge the battery on a daily basis. On average, we run both generators for about 2-3 hours in the am and 5-6 hours in the evening. During the night, the battery consistently goes almost dead even though the display panel shows it is charged when we turn the generators off for the night. It is so low that the refrigerator goes off. We turn the furnace down at night so it is not coming on. What could possibly be draining the battery overnight?:confused:

I probably won't get back to checking the internet for 2-3 days. We also don't have cell service. Boy, do I feel out of touch with the world. Life is tough!:D

2010augusta

great help for charging batteries

Here is a link to intelli-power/progressive dynamics, they make the 12 converter and have a add-on monitor that will allow you to safely over-ride the computer charge functions and put it onto "boost mode" for a faster more complete charge. the other stuff to consider is changing over to florescent lighting, and adding a solar charging system, or changing over to two or four 6 volt golf cart batteries.

image.php

jnbhobe

Are you sure your batteries are good, check them first or maybe one is bad pulling down the other.If not you could buy a 10amp battery charger and use it when using the generator. Jon:confused::confused::confused:

jbeletti

My guess is that the battery has been taken to the brink too many times and just will not hold the charge it used to. Consider two things:

1. Replacing this batter with two batteries
2. Use two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series instead of two 12 volt batteries

Best of luck,

Jim

combine_billy

I think your battery is shot. I have gone several days w/o electricity and the battery was still good. Of course, I was never in the camper except to sleep and shower.

Uncle Rog

I think Jim has the right idea, if you only have one battery, one day is about all you get, even with the charging. The best system for my $ is the dual or quad 6V set up. The T-105's can be run down lower than a 12V system, with out damaging the cells, and can be cycled many more times. I have heard stories of them lasting for 5+ years with good maintenance, mine are almost 4 years old and test up fine.

ricatic

I have a new 09 3055RL that made its maiden voyage last week to Oshkosh. It has 2 new 12 volt deep cycle in it. I can only get them to 3/4 charge and they last less thgan 2 day with only very light loads. Do I have a charging system issue?

Ricatic

gdog

gdog
We have an 09 3055. Two 12 volt deep cycle batteries and a 130 watt sharp solar panel. We have been dry camping for the last month and have not had to use a generator once to charge batteries. In fact, I have noticed that the batteries, after a nights use, are fully charged by noon. I think you have a battery issue.
gdog

It should take at least 7-8 hours to fully charge these batteries. They will only get what power your are not using at the time the generator is running. ie they will get only the power not being used somewhere else in system 12 volt lights, thermostat on AC, radio etc Jack

sidney dreyfus

Are you sure your batteries are good, check them first or maybe one is bad pulling down the other.If not you could buy a 10amp battery charger and use it when using the generator. Jon:confused::confused::confused:
That's what I found works best for us. I don't rely on the trickle charge from the converter. I hook up a 10 volt battery charger off of the the generator to charge the batteries and of course I check the fluid level and the batteries to make sure they can still hold a charge.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That's what I found works best for us. I don't rely on the trickle charge from the converter. I hook up a 10 volt battery charger off of the the generator to charge the batteries and of course I check the fluid level and the batteries to make sure they can still hold a charge.

10 volt? R U sure?

2010augusta

I don't know about your unit, but I believe the bighorns have a converter that is a 60 amp output and our Landmark has a 80 Amp converter. These are not trickle chargers.

Jimmyt5

I have found using the Honda it is better to plug a regular $19.95 charger into 110 and then use it to charge the battery..

2010augusta

I have found using the Honda it is better to plug a regular $19.95 charger into 110 and then use it to charge the battery..

Be careful when doing that, I blew up our charge wizard converter when I hooked up an extra battery charger. As soon as I plugged the charger in I heard the fan shut down on the converter. I had to remove and replace the entire converter. I costly mistake to try to get a faster charge. At least I had the extra battery charger, so I could keep using the unit for the two weeks to get the new converter shipped and installed.

sidney dreyfus

converter

I spoke with Progressive Dynamics the people who manufacture my converter. They say the converter has blocking diodes that protect the converter when charging the bateries with a charger or any other charging device such as a solar panel.

2010augusta

I spoke with Progressive Dynamics the people who manufacture my converter. They say the converter has blocking diodes that protect the converter when charging the bateries with a charger or any other charging device such as a solar panel.

well I guess my diodes failed, but it is good to know for future reference.

caissiel

Most power plant and the converter charge batteries at 6 Amp rate. It would take forever to charge batteries when they are down, I used my Volks Diesel with 125Amp Alternator and booster cables and the batteries would charge realy fast. I have installed an ampmeter on the line from the truck, with 10Ga wires I will determine what rpm the truck has to turn to charge most efficiently. I have double alternators on my TV and I want to put them to work. I charge my batteries while the truck idles at 1/2 Gallon flow of fuel per Hr. I will be dry camping next week and will surely be studying this method of charging my batteries.
I ran 10Ga wire to my 7-way trailer connection from the battery with a 60 Amp circuit breaker, the Ford battery wire was way to small to work properly.