Hope you don’t mind Jim B. – I borrowed this

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
First off I cannot take credit for this really cool modification as I have completely stolen it from Jim B. and Terry H.
<O:p</O:p
From the time I purchased my Sprint Aircard and external cellular antenna I have wanted to install it on the Augusta. I have tossed around many concepts for doing the installation but have decided that what Jim did really is ideal placement sooooooooo here I go.
First off I purchased a dual 12 volt outlet from West Marine model #6867915. I took another idea from my father-in-law’s boat, I will be using a stainless steel clamshell vent from West marine #180349 to use on the outside of the rear cap to cover the hole that I will eventually drill thru to route the antenna cable into the coach. I used lamp cord wire for hooking up the power to the dual outlets. I also modified the faceplate of the dual outlets to accommodate for the antenna wire. The hardest part so far was routing the power wire from the oblong hole I created in the overhead cabinet to the wall light next to the rear window. As you can see from my pictures I opened up the hole for the wire were the lamp is to help feed the power wire. I made the connections to the outlets and tapped into the light wiring and we have power. Awesome! I then decided to mount the antenna on the ladder so I could get ready to drill the hole in the rear cap. Well as it turns out the bolts that came with the antenna mounts are too short so I will be going to Lowes tomorrow to get some longer stainless steel bolts. Hopefully I will get to mount the antenna this weekend. I am really not too happy with drilling that hole through the rear cap but I will muster the confidence, close my eyes and drill that hole. I suspect that routing that antenna wire from outside to the oblong hole in the cabinet.
More later,
Mark

Attachments

• 100_0260.JPG
    100_0260.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_0271.JPG
    100_0271.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 100_0270.JPG
    100_0270.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_0269.JPG
    100_0269.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_0268.JPG
    100_0268.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 100_0266.JPG
    100_0266.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_0265.JPG
    100_0265.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 100_0264.JPG
    100_0264.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_0263.JPG
    100_0263.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_0262.JPG
    100_0262.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 361

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Looking good Mark. Don't be too afraid of drilling through the fiberglass cap. The first time I drilled thru the hull of my boat I was pertrified:eek:! But the next couple of times weren't so bad. Just one word of advice: Mesure, measure, measure, and then when you're sure you've got it right, measure again.

2010augusta

Make sure you use plenty of silicon inside the clam shell vent. The storage bins in our F-450 have those between the bed and the cab, and a highway speeds in rain storms, a lot of water can get sucked in, and I had a very soggy pillow before I realized water could get in the vent. I guess that is why that are called vents

porthole

Retired
Just a hint for any holes you are drilling for screws in the fiberglass.

Make sure you use a bit that is the correct size, what might be just big enough in wood or sheet metal will most likely bind the stainless screw, breaking it.

Stainless screws are not very strong and it is fairly easy to twist off the heads.
Next, use a countersink on the holes to relieve the gel coat. Not doing so will eventually lead to spider cracks around the screw hole.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
You're a brave soul, Mark. That looks very good. I will be following this as Elizabeth and I are tired of the, less than acceptable, wireless connections at RV parks.
Fred

cjbearden

Visitor
Great Job, Mark. We will keep following your progress so continue to post your updates, especially that hole in the fiberglass! We need to do the same mod so very interested in seeing how things turn out for you.

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Just a hint for any holes you are drilling for screws in the fiberglass.

Make sure you use a bit that is the correct size, what might be just big enough in wood or sheet metal will most likely bind the stainless screw, breaking it.

Stainless screws are not very strong and it is fairly easy to twist off the heads.
Next, use a countersink on the holes to relieve the gel coat. Not doing so will eventually lead to spider cracks around the screw hole.

This coming from a man who has modified and put many holes in out big fiberglass boats!!

mrcomer

Thanks for the info porthole. I never would have known about countersinking the gel coat. Will do.

Thanks again,
Mark

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the info porthole. I never would have known about countersinking the gel coat. Will do.

Thanks again,
Mark

Just read your tip about the step carpets.

Since I am in Elkhart - waiting - I think I'll go looking for the Menards tomorrow!

mrcomer

Finished antenna install - ready for router

I was fortunate to finish the antenna install today. I did the dirty deed and drilled the hole through the rear cap to run the antenna wire. Things went well and when I drilled the holes to mount the clamshell vent I made sure to countersink all the holes like porthole suggested, thanks porthole! Well feeding the antenna wire through the 3/8" diameter hole, through the plastic membrane between the rear cap and the back wall of the coach and into the oblong hole I cut in the cabinet was challenging but doable. When I mounted the clamshell I made sure to fill the astenna wire hole and screw holes with clear silicone and then secured the clamshell to the rear cap. I then filled the underside of the clamshell with clear silicone. Should be water tight now. I had so much antenna wire, way more than what I needed to get through the wall I decided to let it loop itself between the rear wall and rear cap then only brought through just enough to connect to the Sprint aircard. Now I will need to save my pennies to get a router to put in the coach. Donations are being accepted and appreciated. I will probably for now purchase a 12 volt cigarette adapter for my Cradlepoint router we have in the house.

Later I hope to add an amplifier and passive indoor antenna for the coach.

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0281.JPG
    100_0281.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_0280.JPG
    100_0280.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_0279.JPG
    100_0279.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_0278.JPG
    100_0278.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_0277.JPG
    100_0277.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_0276.JPG
    100_0276.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0275.JPG
    100_0275.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_0274.JPG
    100_0274.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 164

jbeletti

Mark,

Awesome job! Glad you found the receptacle. I could not find it again on West Marine's website. The clam shell idea is great. Makes the install look very professional.

By the way, I noticed yesterday that I am missing a couple of radials from the antenna. And it had some leaves stuck to it. Gonna have to see if the radials can be purchased separately. Do use the Loc-tite that comes with it. I did but maybe I should have used more or tightened them more.

Jim

mrcomer

Thanks Jim,
I did use the Loctite that came with it. I will keep my fingers crossed that they stay attached. Let us know if you are able to aquire those radials seperately.

Mark

jbeletti

I contacted Alex at the 3GStore and he confirmed they are indeed available separately - $8.

He suggested I first check to see if they broke off. If that is the case, I may want to rethink ordering replacement radials until after I can back-out broken sections. We shall see but at least it's nice to know you can get them separately if needed.

Jim

mrcomer

example of countersinks

Here is a picture of a couple of countersink tools.

Attachments

• 100_0422.JPG
    100_0422.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 95