ElkRidge 35DSRL and Provincial Parks

micar

We are thinking of purchasing an Elkridge 35DSRL,brochure states length as 38.8ft.Our concern is that we camp a lot at Ontario provincial parks and were wondering if any of you have any experience in getting into sites with this length of trailer in a semi-wilderness setting.We currently have a 34ft fiver and have had the occasional problem with narrow roadways when backing in. ie swing room.I know size matters but will 5ft make a ton of difference.
Mike

2010augusta

I will start by welcoming you to the Heartland Owners Forum. I have not taken our unit into state parks, but I have backed it into some tricky spots. As long as you are careful it backs-up and turns so much easier than even a 20' car hauler bumper pull. The ability to fit into a space is also function of the axle placement along with the total length of truck and trailer. I am sure that someone with personal experience will chime in soon.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Micar
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to here you are thinking of a Heartland product you will not be sorry. Ontario has its own chapter of the Heartland Owners Club. My wife Gayle and myself are the chapter leaders. Contact me at wfwilson1@yahoo.ca and mention the word Heartland in you title and I will send you our past news letters and info on the club if you wish.
I have not been in ON Prov parks with my BH but have been in US State parks and you just have to check before you go in.
Regards
Wayne

dewwood

Welcome to the forum! I envy you in being able to check out the Ontario Provincial Parks. We have been to several and some have large sites where you will have no problems and a few have smaller sites which may be a challenge. I guess you will just have to take several trips to check them all out and then you can report back to us. Sounds like a tough job, I wish I could do that myself. We love Algonquin but I do not believe that they have camping within the park but there are places just outside of the park. There are several going up around Lake Superior that are really great parks, it makes a nice trip to just go around Lake Superior. You did not say what part of Ontario you are starting from so that I am sure will make a difference of which parks will be easily accessible for just a weekend trip. I think you will be able to find places whatever you decide to get so I would go for the model that suits you the best and adjust your camping trips accordingly. I am sure you will be able to find spots at most of them. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

micar

Dewood:
There are campgrounds within algonquin park. They are along the hwy 60 corridor which runs west to east from Huntsville (where we live) Our favorites are Cannisbay and Lake of Two Rivers.

Mike

dewwood

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I did not know there were campgrounds in Algonquin. It has been a few years since we were there but we were not camping on that trip so did not really pay that much attention.

We did enjoy the trip around Lake Superior although we did not camp that trip either. We did scope out several of the Provincial Parks and some of the campgrounds though and are planning a return trip with our camper when we have more time to enjoy them.

I have relatives near Parry Sound not too far from you.

jmaguire

We traded a 30ft. TT for our fifth wheeel. We also have the 35DSRL and love it. We have pulled it into sites at a couple of state parks in Maryland that we had our TT in. It was a job getting the TT in, but easier in the 5-er. We tow it with a 2007 chevy 2500hd duramax and camping is easier for us now. It is so much easier than the TT and even easy to tow.