2010 Edge M21 A/C Model and Amperage

ddhburns

Our new 2010 Edge M21 has a Dometic Penguin A/C unit on the roof. Warrantee card states model number 640312.301. Dometic's web site doesn't list such a model. They show a Penguin 600312.xxx, which is an 11,000 btu unit drawing 9.5 Compressor Loaded Amps and 2.8 Fan Motor Loaded Amps. The Edge literature says there's a 13,500 btu unit up there; those draw 12.4 + 3.1 Amps. I'm trying to get fairly accurate numbers for generator sizing.

I know it's nit picking, but could you tell me which units are installed on these Edge models? Thanks!

Northern Virginia
The running amps are not the problem for a generator. My 15k Dometic pulls 12-15 amps running (total load). At start-up, I have seen the amp meter goes as high as 56 amps. That's what bogs down the generator. The voltage will drop way down and the compressor will never be able to get going.

Usually the a/c will list FLA (full load amps) and LRA (locked rotor amps) LRA are what you will see at start up with a high head pressure and give a much better idea of what size generator you'll need. Generator's are capable of producing more that their rated output for a short duration such as this. For example, a 5500 watt generator can produce 6250 watts to start an a/c unit. (which would start my 15k Dometic with a high head pressure start up of 56 amps, the voltage would drop to 111 volts and it would be able to start)

Granted, that is with no other load.

Hope I helped - John

ddhburns

Thank you!

That helps quite a lot, actually. I've realized I was asking a couple of different questions. The first might better have been phrased, "What is a reliable, clean-burning, not-too-noisy generator I can use to power this trailer, assuming that I must have A/C most of the year?" I've been assured that the Yamaha EF30iSEB will start a 13,500btu Dometic without any problem and, burning propane, will provide fairly quiet and clean operation.

The other question remains, of course, "What's in the box on top of my trailer?!"

salwolfe

ddhburns and Mcreech: You are not being nit picking wanting to know what is in/on your new Edge. The Edge product literature states that the air conditioner is a 13.5 dual ducted A/C unit. Dropping down to an 11.0k BTU unit is not right and is an underpowered unit, in my estimation. I just went on my first trip in my M21 2010 Edge to Santa Fe and the A/C would not keep the unit cool enough even in outside temperatures of close to 70 degrees at night; daytime temps over 80 degrees and the A/C runs constantly. I had intended to ask my dealer to check the A/C out along with a few other punch list items, but now, finding that it is only a 11.0k unit, I suppose what they will say is it is doing what it is designed to do. What to do now?

Steve
2010 M21 Edge
2009 Dodge 1500 RAM Hemi

Redfish

The AC duct on my m21 was not connected properly allowing a lot of cold air to escape to the outside. I taped it in place and it helped a lot. Before doing the tape fix, it puddled water on the floor through the control area of the AC. Now the fan will not kick off even though the compressor cycles off. The dealer has been unwilling to give details on the trouble shooting of the AC. The TT has been shipped back to the factory for repairs to the AC, the rear and side walls.
Testing the m21
Redfish

combine_billy

I had a TT with a 13.5 A/C. I bought two Honda 2k's and hooked them together to run the air. It would start the air on that trailer about half the time, other times it would either blow the breaker in the trailer or on the generator. I took the trailer in and had the A/C made 'generator ready' and that made all the difference in the world. Started every time from then on.

Now that I have my new cyclone, I have the 2 honda's for sale.

ddhburns

We checked the M21 out on a couple of occassions when it was pushing 100 degrees outside; even in direct sun, the A/C seemed to keep up reasonably well. This is a crucial selling point for us since we live in Central Texas.

Redfish mentioned a ducting problem with his A/C; is that a possibility for your problem?

ddhburns

I'd seen in a couple of postings where people had to make their own "sync" connectors in order to let both units produce full power simultaneously; not sure why. This seems to be common to both Honda and Kipor 2000 units. I was strongly inclined toward your solution if only to reduce the weight and increase the ease of transport and storage; I'm leaning back toward a single generator for cost and efficiency; 150 pounds is about all I'm willing to lift, and that's right about where the 3000 units come in.

Can you say anything more about the process of making an A/C unit "generator ready?"

combine_billy

I didn't make my own synch connector, I bought one from the factory. It works great. I also bought an extra 5 gallon gas can that hooks into the gas lids that allow the units to run all night.

There was some kind of switch they added to the A/C unit on the camper that made it much easier to start. It seems like it cost around $200 to have it done.

When heartland advertises something as generator prepped, I am guessing that this switch has been added to the a/c units?

kravchuck

Our M21 has a Dometic A/C . Looking through the vent, I read the Model # 600312.331 which is 11,000 BTU. I called our dealer and he is checking into why it is 11,000 instead of the 13,500 as listed on there M21 Listed standards.

kravchuck

I called Dometic and asked about replacing the 11,000 BTU (model 600312.331) with a 13,500 BTU (model 600315.336).
They told me that it is the same size and could be replaced.None
I agree with the comments that the 11K unit is a bit undersized for the M21.:(

gerrym51

Actually i would like to take advantage of the 11,000 btu a/c.

could this be stated and run by a honda or yamah 2000?

frances2

The AC duct on my m21 was not connected properly allowing a lot of cold air to escape to the outside. I taped it in place and it helped a lot. Before doing the tape fix, it puddled water on the floor through the control area of the AC. Now the fan will not kick off even though the compressor cycles off. The dealer has been unwilling to give details on the trouble shooting of the AC. The TT has been shipped back to the factory for repairs to the AC, the rear and side walls.
Testing the m21
Redfish
We bought our new 2010 Edge M21 in Feb., and, it has been in the shop more than out our house due to A/C problems. It keeps dripping onto the floor--today is the third time we have taken it in to be repaired. Do we need a whole new A/C unit installed?:confused: