slide alarm

tmcran

Are you talking about something that lets you know if you slide is out or in? Mine makes a very noticeable noise when it is retracted in or out completely.

porthole

Retired
No alarm but I do use set of battery powered-magnetic orange flashing lights that I place on the slide arms when we are stopped in a parking lot.

Mrscookie

DW of a senior member
I haven't found a water spigot or power pedestal yet, that could hear an alarm. They just don't pay attention when the slide is about to smash into them. :)

Peace
Dave

dieselengineer

Charter Member
This weekend, at the campground the coach next door had an alarm on the slideout. Like a backup alarm, beep, beep, etc. I thought this was over kill since as stated above, how is this going to protect the slides from hitting a tree, etc. However, what I did see is when the beeps started, everyone stop what they were doing and went to watchout for problems. So maybe, this is a good idea to add, should be a simple add.

porthole

Retired
And when the beeps start when closing it would be a good reminder to make sure everything is clear on the inside, making sure everything is out of the way, especially pedestal tables - don't ask me how I know.:cool:

Seems more important on hydraulic slides where more then one slide is moving at a time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I understand now about the slide alarm and what it is for. I do have a slide alarm, it is called the DW standing outside and looking when I am parked close to something the slide might hit. Works great and has no installation problems. LOL

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Presently, I use a stick that I have marked the clearance needed for each slide. Measure, then slide, just was asking if anyone installed an alarm. Thought it was a nice idea. With the overall response, it appears that this not the case and is a waste of time. :)

jmgratz

I wouldn't necessarily say it is a waste of time. If it works for you then it is a great idea. Initially I was not sure what you were talking about. Wouldn't be that hard to do and Radio Shack would probably have a sensor that would work. If you think you need it go for it. Then show us pics as we are all interested.

Charlie Harris

Safety Radios Work Well

We purchased two small Motorola safety radios which work very well for us. Did not think the entire park would enjoy hearing my wife scream at me to stop or turn, or me scream back that I could not see or tell which way she wanted me to turn, while she made circular motions with her hand!!! lol. I don't like to annoy my neighbors with unnecessary racket.:D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Charlie, you mean you can see your DW???? In your mirror???? Making obsence jestures at you???? Mine stands behind the coach where I cant see her and just yells. And yes we have had the conversation about staying within mirror sight before. Bob:D

bigredtruck

At first I thought the alarm would be a good idea, so DH doesn't get hit in the head when I am anxious to get the slides out and everything set up. However, the slide makes enough noise that I don't really think it's necessary to annoy the neighbours.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Charlie, you mean you can see your DW???? In your mirror???? Making obsence jestures at you???? Mine stands behind the coach where I cant see her and just yells. And yes we have had the conversation about staying within mirror sight before. Bob:D

Been there, done that:eek:. The most asked question when backing up with our rig is, "Where did you go"? We change places when putting out the slides in a tight area. I watch and DW presses the switches - that's because I can yell louder:D! I wonder if one of the backup assist modules they use on cars/trucks could be wired in:rolleyes:?

jmgratz

Just slap the side of the slide very hard and that lets them know. No yelling needed. The other thing you could do is use the family radios and put the call button for the alarm

porthole

Retired
I am a career fire fighter. Our general orders require a backup person, and as you may already know - some are better then others.

But since both parties will be "guilty as charged" for hitting something when backing, we tend to do a pretty good job.

Most of us use the "stand in the mirror" method.

The back person only stands on the left side and moves left - right - The driver follows the backup person in the mirror - moving the rig to follow.

No words since most of the time the scenes are too noisy to use vocal comms.

Can't see the back up person - all stop!