Bed

4ever

We recently purchased a 3410RE with king bed. Supporting the mattress is particle board which is fairly rough. Has anyone had problems with this damaging either the mattress, sheets or blankets? Also mattress does not slide well when trying to make the bed. Has anyone covered the board with anything?

Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There have been several posts regarding this issue. Seems to me I remember seeing where some have covered the particle board with linoleum.

ralphpam

Ours is a queen bed. We took an old fitted sheet and put it around the board, opened it up and stapled it underneath. At the top edges there was enough overhang to staple under the edge. The fitted sheet fits great and the corners go right over the corners of the board. No more splinters!!

Charlie Harris

That has been a problem with our Bighorn also. Wife plans to cover it with something, has not decided yet on what she will use. Maybe a pad of some sort. Very hard to make the bed up.

goodtruck

on our eagle ridge i sanded the board an covered it with polyester resin should last longer then me

patrick1945

Replaced the particle board top with sanded plywood when I reduced the king size bed to queen. Certainly several coats of a painted or otherwise coating would suffice.

azbound

Those of you that have put something on the board to make it slid easier, have you had any problems with the mattress sliding when in tow? Just curious, I have been thinking of doing something like that to ours.

2010augusta

Our bed is held in place between the head-board wall and the dresser, so it can't move in travel.

on a similar note: I kept scraping my shin on the rough edge of the particle board, so I bought some "L" shaped plastic trim board and installed them all around the perimeter of the bed. Much nicer and cuts down on the splinters too.

caissiel

On my old unit we bought a brand new mattress and the first time we turned it we noticed a rip on the board side, I investigated and noticed a knot in the plywood and put duct taope over it, also duct tape the bed rip, still there now and see it everytime I turn the bed. Regular matress surface is made to fit over a frame of the same material, maybe a liner might be best because its hard finding a one piece of plywood 72" wide. I plane on making a new frame with Oak sides to fit a queen to replace the 72" King. I have never seen such bad workmenship in the bed frame, hope its not the rest of the camper because I will be busy making improvements, I was asked to buy an extended waranty, I will spend the money on repairing the misfits that will cause all the troubles. The bed is the first. It took me 11 years to repair my present one and plan on doing the same with the new one. Sometimes I feel I am trading in a better trailer then the new one I am getting.

Nice pic, how would a light glued on carpet do, my present unit has edge carpeting on the perimeter

Last edited:

geeksrus

Those of you that have put something on the board to make it slid easier, have you had any problems with the mattress sliding when in tow? Just curious, I have been thinking of doing something like that to ours.

We did ours with Linoleum... so far, no problem with movement when traveling!

Eh!

bowser66

I would like to thank all of you for this post. We just got our 2009 Landmark Oakmont with a king size bed. I loved it, but my DW said the bed was too hard to make and wanted me to convert it to a queen size bed. After reading these posts I convinced her that we could put some peel and stick tile over the particle board and then the mattress would slide down easier and make it easier to make the bed. I did it and she thinks it will work. I am happy to be able to keep the king size bed and I am certain that our female German Shephard will be also. There was not enough room for her when we had a queen size bed. But plenty of room with the king size. Thanks again everyone!

rick_debbie_gallant

I would like to thank all of you for this post. We just got our 2009 Landmark Oakmont with a king size bed. I loved it, but my DW said the bed was too hard to make and wanted me to convert it to a queen size bed. After reading these posts I convinced her that we could put some peel and stick tile over the particle board and then the mattress would slide down easier and make it easier to make the bed. I did it and she thinks it will work. I am happy to be able to keep the king size bed and I am certain that our female German Shephard will be also. There was not enough room for her when we had a queen size bed. But plenty of room with the king size. Thanks again everyone!

Just to clear things up; was there "not enough room for her" meaning your wife or your dog?:rolleyes: Me thinks I already know the answer but I wont divulge it here. I don't want to get bit :eek: should our paths cross :D....