Hot Water

combine_billy

Took the new rig for a spin this weekend (in my driveway). Only issue I had was I could not get 'hot' water out of any of the faucets. I tried using both the LP and the Electric heating methods. When I open the valve up on the water heater, the water is hot. When it comes out of the faucets, it is warm.

I checked the outside shower and it seems to be off.

Any ideas?

porthole

Retired
sounds like the winter "bypass" is open.

Fine your water heater. The top and bottom lines going into the heater have valves on them, they should be in line (the handles).

The short vertical jumper hose between the two horizontal hose is the bypass hose, that should be closed (perpendicular to the hose)

porthole

Retired
On my new cyclone the heater by pass is behind the docking station.

Have to remove the panel inside the basement.

Looking at the docking station, to the left, the rear wall of the basement look for a removable panel. On mine it is about 2'x2'

The heater bypass as well as the winterizing hose is behind that panel.

Obviously yours may be different but eh Cyclones are very similar from the steps forward.

trvlrerik

It took me a while to figure out the hot water system, once you get the "basement" access panel off you will see a maze of color coded pex pipe. Next to the hot water tank there is a line that bypasses the hot water tank, you have to close this ball valve and open the red line ball valve. If your trailer has been winterized opening this valve may introduce anti freeze into the system again (a small amount) so you may have to re-flush the system. While you are in there it may be a good idea to check a heat sensor that is taped to the side of the water tank, it sometimes comes off, so make sure it is still taped to the side of the tank.
When I first took mine camping we went without hot water for almost a week before I figured the system out. If you are heating with LP you can go through a tank in a couple of days, I only use LP when in high demand, and keep it hot with electric switch on main control panel.
I still feel like it is running a NASA rocket sometimes to keep everything running right.

jnbhobe

trvlrerik; You must be using propane some where else, I havn't used a tank all year yet. I use gas for HW all the time and this year for heat too. JON :confused: :confused: :confused:

trvlrerik

I will have to check, there are only 4 of us. The last time I ran the hw with propane only the out door temp was 15-20 deg. Would this make a difference? it seemed to me that both heater and wh were running nearly non stop. I have not smelled propane, I will get out the soap and start checking connections.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Definitely a dealer item. They come winterized from the factory and the dealer should have taken care of this bypass prior to delivery.

porthole

Retired
yes

Maybe I am crazy, but it seems like either the factory or the dealership should have that on their list of things to check before handing it off to a customer. Why allow everybody to have the same problem?

In our previous trailer we did a couple of trips last year with me thinking the water heater was going bad - until I remembered ......................

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many dealers do not have people competent enough doing the PDI to know about the wh bypass.