refrigerator not cooling

clay1969

I have a Dometic fridge that only will cool in the low 50's on the 'coldest' setting either on gas or AC. The Freezer works fine. I've had it serviced once and they checked the cooling unit, the gas, the thermostat, and replaced the fan temp sensor. Well went camping this weekend and did the same thing. I never hear the fan coming on outside either like i use to hear on my TT. I'm level and made sure the back of the the 2 vents were clear of any debris.Any ideas?

clay1969

fridge not cooling enough

my fridge want cool below 50 degrees on the coldest setting. the freezer works fine. i had it surfaced and they checked 'everything' and found the fan temp sensor bad. well went camping this past weekend and same thing. when i bought it used in May and turned it on AC for the first time the freezer was frozen by the next day but the fridge never came on. switched over to gas and came on but wouldn't cool below 50. occasionally it might cool down but want cool back down after opening the door a few times to get things out. Any ideas?

jnbhobe

Clay; We need more Info ,like make and model of frig. model of your unit.Is the frig in the slideout.There has been a lot of talk on here about cooling problems. Try doing a search. JON :confused: :confused: :confused:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Is your fridge in a slideout? If so, in order to vent out the wall (as opposed to a fridge NOT in a slideout, vents through the roof) - the fan must come on to assist with hot air movement. If you have not heard the fan come on, go outside and check in the access panels.

On mine, the fan is mounted inside, just under the top opening. The thermal switch that operates the fan is mounted to the fins at the top. After verifying I had power, I bypassed the thermal switch and connected the wires together - the fan runs 24/7 now and its cooling like new! :) My new switch should be in tomorrow at the nearest Dometic "authorized service center". If you have a DM2852 model fridge, the Dometic part number is: 3104133.016

I called Dometic myself and got the part number in order for the "authorized service center" to order it - he had no parts breakdown for this section of my fridge.

Having said all that...if your fridge is venting through the roof and not in a slideout, chances are - you don't have a fan. Must be something else. :(

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Clay, I don't know how but your post went to 2 different areas. It is only necessary to post in one. As for your problem, since your fridg is in the slide check your fan as indicated above. So people have gone to Radio shack and bought a 12 volt fan and added a fan to help. Good Luck.

clay1969

if the fan is located on the back side of the slideout on the top vent all i would need is to bypass the switch and see if the fan works or just add another fan?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Make sure you have power (12VDC) going to one side of the switch but not the other. Then connect both the wires from the switch to each other - the fan should come on.

clay1969

the other meaning the fan side? the service tech said they 'put' another swithc on but all i know is when my fridge is in the lower 50's i should be able to walk outside and hear the fans correct?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
the other meaning the fan side? True, power in from fuse goes to one side of the switch, the other side goes to the fan(mine had an inline fuse down in the bottom access panel)the service tech said they 'put' another swithc on but all i know is when my fridge is in the lower 50's i should be able to walk outside and hear the fans correct? Yes - IF - the lack of cooling is due to the fan not operating; I'm sure there are other things it could be. Unless it happens to be something else, when the heat builds up in behind the fridge, the fan ought to turn on and the fridge will cool better.

By everything I've read and the folks I've talked to, the fan not running will be the most likely cause of your problem.

clay1969

i thought when you opened the door to the fridge and thus raised the temp up that some switch would have to kick on and cool it back down. your saying when the temp on the back exterior of the fridge reaches a certain temp it should kick on.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The fan on the rear of the fridg is to remove the heat from the rear since it vents out the side and not the top. That is why there is no fan on the ones that vent out the top (fridgs not in slide-outs).. Adding a fan that will run all the time will help remove the heat allowing for better cooling.

clay1969

i looked at my service ticket the last time i picked it up and they stated that they 'tested the temp sensor to the fan with a heat gun and got the fan to come on but should come on at a lower temp than what the heat gun puts out' so they replaced the fan temp sensor. i wonder what temp determines that fan coming on?

jnbhobe

I thought I read the temp is around 110* to turn on.???????? Like HT said he wired his hot and it cooled right down,I think it would be worth a try. JON ;) ;) ;)

2010augusta

We had the same problom you are describing, and I installed a switch to bypass the thermo switch and now with the fans running 24/7, our has cooled down to 36-39 degrees while running on gas. The refer has a very slow response, so allow it at least a few hour if not a day to see if any change has worked. The thermo switch is suppose to kick on at 110 but mine was MUCH warmer before the fans would start. if you go to an auto store and by a simple 12 volt two spade switch you'll be all set to bypass the thermo switch. I was even told in an email to do this by dometic.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
The Dometic guy told me 110F also. I held a lighter to my old one to test it and it switched, but obviously not at a low enough temp. My DW hadn't heard the fan running for several days and when I opened the access cover, it was plenty hot in there. It started cooliing immediately when I 'fixed' it!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually, the reefers that are not in a slide out also have fans. Mine has two. Maybe because I have an ice maker?

Attachments

• 100_0666.jpg
    100_0666.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 69

Paul & Nan

Dometic told Four Winds RV, our local dealer, that our fan sensor was set at 150 rather than 105, plus there was no insulation on top of our fridge and we needed a baffle over the fans. Our fridge has not worked properly all summer. Dealer is in process of fixing per Dometic instructions now. We had the same problem with fridge cooling for a bit, then heating to 55 for a day, then cooling again. We will see what happens. Nan