Mosquito Repellants - What Works Best?

I am interested in hearing what really works for repelling mosquitoes and other bugs. Would like to stay away from all the chemicals if possible.
Thanks for your opinions!

skyguy

No bananas! Seriously, eating bananas attracts 'em.

(veteran of many Boundary Waters Canoe trips, northern Minnesota, eh!)

Al S.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Haven't tried it yet - just heard the other day that Listerine works, too. I've always used the Avon personally, though.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I tried the Listerine method not long ago and it didn't work. I use the old fashioned method, good old Off.

irvin56

any product that has LOTS of DEET in it

more DEET the better. That's why most kids stuff don't work. To weak of amount of deet in it,. most sprays are not that good unless loaded with the stuff

Deep woods is good, It's good and does not smell.

like being in 100 degree weather for 10 hours and sweat like a pig. :eek:

bigredtruck

I was using skin so soft bath oil straight up and didn't help a bit. Same with the 'family friendly' stuff. deep woods off, all the way!

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
Egg Cartons work really well. Not the styrofoam ones, the other ones. Just light them and blow out the flame and let the smoke make those little buggers dissapear.

timdebs

The best repellant I have found is my Heartland camper. Make sure you shut the door and have a/c down low. Cold beverage in one hand, tv remote control in other. Have not been bitten by a mosquito yet!

Cheryl

I bought one of those new Off Clip-ons after reading mixed reviews about them. Spent the weekend in Kentucky in a National forest for our family reunion. Not a single mosquito bite. I usually am covered in bites if I don't use a spray on repellent.

Last edited:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I bought one of those new Off Clip-ons after reading mixed reviews about them. Spent the weekend in Kentucky in a National forest for our family reunion. Not a single mosquito bit. I usually am covered in bites if I don't use a spray on repellent.

Elizabeth bought one of those and they work great. She usually just turns it on and sets it on the table under the awning, and we don't even see any mosquitos.
Fred

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Mosquitoes LOVE me and the original listerine works great. You just have to apply it more often than Off though

Uncle Rog

We have found that at least a 20% Deet spray is the minimum, a good solution is a sunscreen / Deet combo.
Citronella candles work very well, but only if you can get the little $%^&&* to fly directly through the flame, otherwise they are useless.
We rarely need bug juice here as bug season here only lasts a couple of weeks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you don't like bathing in DEET, try holding your breath until you pass out. They are attracted by the carbon dioxide you exhale. Once you're out, you won't know what bit you. I've heard eating raw garlic works, too. Even two legged pests will steer clear.