campground pedestal breaker keeps flipping

wyleyrabbit

As I write this, we're at a campground that has 30A service. The weather is hot hot hot, and our air conditioner can barely keep up. It's 37C (about 99F) in the shade. Unfortunately, the breaker on the pedestal outside keeps flipping. I've had to reset it probably 5 or 6 times today, and probably the same number of times yesterday.

We figured that the fridge was working its hardest to keep our food cool, plus the air conditioner was working hard to keep us cool. I have no idea how much these appliances use, but all it took was firing up the tv and receiver (170W and 60W respectively) and click...everything shuts down.

We have since flipped the fridge over to propane and that seems to have done the trick for now.

Anyone have any hints or tips, other than to suggest we stay in campgrounds that have 50A service?

Chris

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other high watt item is your water heater. Run it on propane. You should be good though on a 30 amp. Is there another 30 amp recepticle in the pedestal you could try?

Peace
Dave

fhollan

That's happened to me also while on 30 amp hookup at a state park. We had the A/C going, the water heater and refridge on electric. It was either when the microwave was turned on, or the DW turned on the hair blower. Cookie is right.

fhollan

That would work! The cheater box has a 20 amp and a 30 amp plugin, two seperate circuits to provide 50 amp service.

lhetsler

Cheater box

I have one of those cheater boxes from progressive industries, but they don't work if the 20 amp plugin is a ground fault, so I have never been able to use it. Don't know if there is a way to work around the ground fault.