Sawdust in Storage Compartment

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
I have a Bighorn 3670rl and keep getting sawdust in the storage compartment. Does anyone know the reason and how to stop this?

jbeletti

Bill,

How to stop it? Locate the source and clean it up.

I assume you are finding it on the floor. Are you finding it near a storage door? Maybe up against the carpeted bulkhead wall?

If it seems to be coming from behind the bulkhead wall, remove the panel and vacuum the floor back there. Be careful to not bump some of the stuff back there (converter, vacuum cleaner, water heater, water pump, water lines etc.).

If it seems to be in front of the doors, then it is likely trapped in the walls where it meets the ceiling of the storage area. Seal this area with caulking.

Should this be happening? Not in an ideal world. But that it is, you should be able to track it down and clean/seal and for the most part, eliminate the situation.

Jim

tmcran

I have found saw dust in every compartment. It get less each time I vac it out. I have found 54 of the white headed screws in and round every where,found 3 of the small staple stips,and 8 of the short metal screws. If I keep looking I may have enough to build a new RV some day.:)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
We had the same thing with ours. Done a lot of cleaning in behind compartments and tyed a lot of wires into nice bundles too

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I guess nobody has told you about the sawdust fairy who goes around spreading sawdust. No matter how hard you clean you will still find it. LOL

zztop

I guess nobody has told you about the sawdust fairy who goes around spreading sawdust. No matter how hard you clean you will still find it. LOL

That fairy must be related to the tooth fairy as we find sawdust on top of our bed instead of under our pillows amost every trip we take.....:D

ZZ

Tom_Diane

I have a Bighorn 3670rl and keep getting sawdust in the storage compartment. Does anyone know the reason and how to stop this?

Hi there, Im new to the forum and just purchased my first 5er. Been in a TT for some time off and on through the years. I've been lurking around and saw your post. I know its a couple months old by now but maybe you should investigate for powder post beetles. Have you transported fire wood in that compartment or stacked fire wood against it to shelter it from the weather. I would be concerned with an infestation of termites or the powder post beetles. I do a lot of wood working and deal with recycled woods and have treated all of my wood and this is the tale of powder post beetles. It would seem to me that if you are seeing saw dust in a storage compartment and I assume its carpeted and that saw dust just doesnt find its way from behind the carpet to the open area of the storage area.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
sawdust

I think we have all found sawdust in some strange palces. But as you clean it up by removing walls and appliances you will undersand how the trailer is put together and find equipment and how to access it. Look at it as a self guided tour of your trailer.

Happy cleaning, Butch

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OH GREAT, the Horn has termites.:eek: Maybe it has metal termites too. SO thats way the axle slid back. Is there fiberglass termites TOO?? Bob:D:D

Garry & Bev

travel bug
A carpenter friend was telling us that when he used to build houses he saw workers sweeping all their sawdust down the furnace ducts and behind anything they could find to hide it. I think they must do this in trailer factories too. They were just to lazy to take the time to clean it up properly. I guess they thought it was too time consuming.

Tom of Ypsi

If you go on a factory tour you will find the workers are not lazy, at least not the Heartland workers. The workers are not given enough time to clean up their mess while these coaches are being built. Not cleaning up is a big mistake and has been an on going problem from day one and has been brought up many times before.

Garry & Bev

travel bug
The lazy wasn't actually meant for Heartland...sorry. I was talking about the fellows our friend worked with, which was the comment he had.
I wonder if trying to push through trailers at such a pace that there isn't time to clean up things is a mistake. What a trailer they would make if time was taken in production to clean the sawdust up. It may make it easier to do quality control as imperfections would maybe be spotted easier. Just a thought.

rick_debbie_gallant

If you go on a factory tour you will find the workers are not lazy, at least not the Heartland workers. The workers are not given enough time to clean up their mess while these coaches are being built. Not cleaning up is a big mistake and has been an on going problem from day one and has been brought up many times before.

I believe Heartland has the problem solved. I was pleased when I got into the belly of my beast and found hardly any sawdust etc. We will get some shaking down from the ceiling in the small cupboard on the island but that aint bad. Now if they just keep it up (which I am sure they will) things will better for future rv's from Heartland.

I do often wonder if they start the new hires out on the lower end models and then as they get better move them on to the higher end models. Kind of like the German koo-koo clock carvers/makers.:)