Towing a 3300 RLB Sundance

benbovac

We are considering buying a 2010 Sundance 3300RLB. We currently have a 08 gmc Duramax 2500HD Crewcab shortbed. Is anyone towing a 5er of this weight with a similar truck?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi benbov, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. Your truck should do just fine with that trailer. You will be under your towing capaciy and the loaded pin weight should still be less than your cargo weight rating keeping you just under your GVWR of 9200#

thomasinnv

i have a 2010 3300rlb that i pull with a f350. i would not want to pull it with a 3/4 ton truck. with full tanks i have some chucking on not so smooth roads. how you load the trailer will make the difference. i am a full timer so my basement is full, every nook and cranny. i have a generator installed in the front compartment, and 4 group 31 batteries. on this floor model trailer, all the tanks (1 fresh water, 2 greys and 1 black) are in front of the axles, so depending on how full the tanks are the pin weight can increase as much as say 700# just from that (full tanks will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400#, centered between the pin and axles so figure half the weight). add batteries, any gear you have loaded, and you can easily be in excess of the payload capacity of the truck. will it tow it? sure. will it be a nice ride? maybe if you leave the trailer empty. my example would be: full tanks=700# built in generator=250# 4 big batteries=320# full propane=60# empty pin weight=1910# 3500# of gear (figure 20% on the pin)=700# grand total of 3940# pin weight. keep in mind that extra passengers and any cargo already in the truck must be added as well. lets say 400# that brings the total to 4340#. most people will probably say this combination will never be seen, but i see it often, being a full timer. i don't know of any 3/4 ton trucks that have that kind of a payload. if your the occasional weekend user who always loads light, you will probably be fine with the 3/4 ton truck.

MurrayN.

I am pulling the same trailer with an 03 2500 Silverado and am not having any problems. Like some of the earlier folks said you have to watch your weights a little bit but I have never had a problem staying legal on my rear axle. My chip on my truck is set for an extra 60 hp in tow mode, so I am putting out a total of 360 hp and have no problem doing speed limit or a little more. Very few other rv's pass me. I feel very confident pulling this rig with my truck and have been through some mountains with 11% grades, but between my Allison trans and my exhaust brake I stress very little when I am on the road. Now if I was to go out and look for another truck that would be a different story. I would definitely go 3500 single tire, or maybe even a dually :eek: (only after some tests drives to see if I could put up with it) , but if this 08 is the truck that you own now you can happily tow this rig as long as you want.

HRAI

I am pulling the same trailer with an 03 2500 Silverado and am not having any problems. Like some of the earlier folks said you have to watch your weights a little bit but I have never had a problem staying legal on my rear axle. My chip on my truck is set for an extra 60 hp in tow mode, so I am putting out a total of 360 hp and have no problem doing speed limit or a little more. Very few other rv's pass me. I feel very confident pulling this rig with my truck and have been through some mountains with 11% grades, but between my Allison trans and my exhaust brake I stress very little when I am on the road. Now if I was to go out and look for another truck that would be a different story. I would definitely go 3500 single tire, or maybe even a dually :eek: (only after some tests drives to see if I could put up with it) , but if this 08 is the truck that you own now you can happily tow this rig as long as you want.

I agree. Yes, I am above the GCVWR as set by GM's marketing department, but well within my front and rear axle ratings. As for chucking, a 1 ton dually makes no difference as I have tried it with my dad's dually 3500. My truck pulls my 3300 BHS very comfortably.

Guy

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I pull a 2997BHS with a 2002 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC short box 4x4 and it pulls ... and stops ... just fine out here in NYS and surrounding areas. Though I don't full time or keep the RV loaded either so my weights may, or may not be, lower than others.

benbovac

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. We are trying to sell our TT outright to avoid a trade in situation. Once it sells we plan on buying the Sundance.

Thanks again!

Hottop

We've been towing our new 3300RLB with my 07 Chevy CCSB Duramax with no problems whatsoever. Plenty of power on hills and stops very good. I think it actually tows and rides better than my old 7800 lb americamp.