EGT temperature

ralphpam

I have just installed a egt probe and gauge in my 2009 Dodge 3500 CTD drw and I would like to know how high can the temperature get before I need to worry and what temperature should it be to turn off the engine?

2010augusta

if it is the same as the specs for the 5.9, 1250 is max for extended time and 1350-1400 is max for a short time. Your EGT will drop much faster than the turbo, turbo temp is what needs to cool before shutting down the engine.

davebennington

We have a 2006 5.9 and I think a lot depends where you have your probe. If it installed before the turbo than the temps will be higher and you will have to back out of it sooner. If the probe is after the turbo you will have to keep in mind to adjust 200 to 400 degrees higher. if you run with temps higher than 1300-1400 degree very long you will melt a piston. As far the 2009 goes I think the turbo is water cooled and I am not sure at what temp you are safe turning off the engine, The 2006 turbo however is oil cooled and the recommended temp to turn the engine off is 300 to 400 degrees. I would check your owners manual to be sure.

Dave

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Have EGT probes in both the pre turbo and post turbo position. Use the post turbo EGT for cool down since the post EGT will cool down slower then the pre turbo EGT. During towing, use the pre turbo EGT and as stated before, the max safe temp is 1350 for the 5.9. You should back down (lift the go pedal) if the temp go above this point. In stock conditions, it is possible to go above this temp. After a number of efficiency mods, I am happy to say my max EGT pre turbo is only 950. So I don't need to back down (back pedal) on those east coast hills anymore. :)

beardedone

Beardedone
If you check on cummins dodge forum for 6.7 CTD they will tell you that it runs hotter than the 5.9. Best to do some research on the truck forums for your piece of mind.