Tow Rig tire problem-help

Brenrick

Hello everyone,

I have a tire question for my tow vehicle. We have had our BC for about 3 months and took it on its 2nd low milage road trip, about 250 miles round trip. We have a Ford f-250 with BF Goodrich 285/75 R16 tires with a load rating of D. When we returned home we noticed the drivers rear tire had a huge bubble, glad we made it home. We are now looking to replace all the tires due to the load rating and would like to know if anyone has some suggestions on what new tires we should be looking at. The BC is a 3300RL model rated at 14,500 lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi Rick, I guess you have to decide if "stock" size tires would be OK with you for your truck but I would suggest looking at the sticker on the door pillar to find out the recommended tire for your truck and go from there. I'm thinking your truck might call for a Load Range E tire. 285's sound a bit tall so a stock size tire may even get you some better mileage.

2010augusta

Well a lot depends on what else you do with the truck. I run tires very similar to OTR tires on our truck cause she only see paved roads and gravel parking lots. no off-road use. All we are concerned with is load capacity and mileage.

Brenrick

Hello all,

We are only concerned with the weight and mileage ourselves. We do not do any off-roading with our truck either. Can you tell me what OTR tires are?

2010augusta

Commercial Over The Road tires. I have some Hankook all position (meaning used on both steer and drive axles) commercials on 19.5 wheels. Check out the commercial tire sections of your favorite manufacturer. price is probably higher, but much better mileage. They are up to high weights and miles without overheating.

here is a like to another truck tire thread on this forum. maybe it will help out too.

jnbhobe

Brenrick; I have a truck that is probably close to yours. Look at a 265-75-R16 Load Rang E tire. It will have a capacity of 3415lbs @ 80psi. That is about as heavy a tire you can get in 16". All the major MFG's make it. I use Firestone HT transports, Dayton commericial ribs,or Michelin. They all have a couple of tread designs depending on how aggressive a tread you want. Me I use summer tread in the summer and a studded snow tread in the winter. Good luck JON ;) ;) ;)

Brenrick

Hello there,

Thank you for the information. We are now looking at putting the original size tires back on our truck since we bought the beast! HAHAHA

The tires we have now worked just fine for pulling around a 25ft TT, but with this new 5R we did not even realize how the weight factor affected these tires, wow! We were lucky to make it home! We were up on the California Coast and there is really no place to pull over and change a blow out. Guess we would have been limping in somewhere. Never the less, must have been a guardian angel with us and it did not happen, dodged that bullet.

jnbhobe

Brenrick;If your looking at original equiptment tires, they are 235-85-R16 LR-E 3042lbs @80psi. The 265-75-R16 are the same diameter tire just with 400lbs more capacity. JON :D :D :D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, if it were my truck I would go with the 265-75-16's. Better all around tire. Check around, you might find some new vehicle take-offs at a good price. Paided $75.00 ea. for Bridgestones. Man did they make a difference in the handling of the truck. Bob:D

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I have 19.5 wheels and tires like 2010augusta. With the 19.5 tires, the selection of tires is greatly improved vs 16 inch. I am running "G" rated 19.5 tires with a load rating of 5355 lbs. Yes that is the rating for each tire. So I am at only about 60 percent of the tire's rating in the rear axle and about 40 percent of the tire's rating on the front axle when loaded. The steering axle is were the additional capacity (60%) is very comforting, since a tire failure there can be an big issue.

Brenrick

Thanks for all the great information, you all are awesome. Got another question, has anyone heard of Nexen Roadian H/T tires? We found some for a really good price and are wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. There have been good and bad reviews on-line but nothing on the 265/75R16 E's. These are running at a cost of about $105.00 each.

jnbhobe

Just a thought; are they made in the USA. Pick up a couple of different tires see how heavy they are. JON :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
Rick, if it were my truck I would go with the 265-75-16's. Better all around tire. Check around, you might find some new vehicle take-offs at a good price. Paided $75.00 ea. for Bridgestones. Man did they make a difference in the handling of the truck. Bob:D

I got 4 new take off aluminum wheels and Bridgestone tires on eBay for my truck.

Went up in tire size and wheel rim, 16 to 17.

My original wheels were starting to lose the clear coat and the 16" tires just look silly on the GM's

caissiel

Proper tires is very important. I had a small truck and had tires replaced and the installer only put in 28Lbs. Well the truck and 5th wheel were all over the road. I then added the proper towing inflation of 50Lbs and it drove like a caddy down the road. The Ford F250 would be best with 245/75/17 but no one dares to use them though they have the same capacity as the 265/70/17. The smaller the tire the more economy and stability in my book. I run Max pressure and in no way I would haul a 5th with less then recommended tire type.

Cyncwby

This is just info for anyone still using 16" wheels, I think BF Goodrich makes one of the only 285/75/16 "E" rated tire around, it's rated at 3750 lbs @ 80 psi. I have them on my '02 F-250 PSD, they wear like iron but ride exceptionally well.......Dave