HDT/Big Rig towers?

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
We have a Volvo 770 and are in the market for a Cyclone. What kind of hitches do you all have on your HDT? We are thinking about getting an air ride pin box along with an air ride hitch. Right now we have the semi hitch as well as a regular 5er hitch. We don't want to void the warrany on the chassis. We have emailed lipert(sp?) but they have not emailed us back yet.

Delaine and Lindy

Trailer Saver

Tan Dumb, we have owned two Trailair pin boxes and they both worked well. I just ordered a new 2010 and I did delete the Trailair Pin box because we also bought a Freightliner M2 and I also installed a Trailer Saver air ride hitch TSLB2H (32,000 capacity) with a Gooseneck adapter to swithout the 5th wheel head a put the Gooseneck ball hitch on. I have owned the Trailer Saver air ride hitch in the past and do believe the Trailer Saver to be the best. I don't think the two systems are needed, I will go with a regular pin box and if it don't work will not hesitate to get the Mor/Ryde pin box which I have used in the past. Oh yes you have a awesome Truck in the 770. I think you will need a Air Ride hitch because the HDT will put a lot of stress on the 5th wheel frame. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Just a question, why/how would a HDT put a lot of stress on the frame?

It's a combination of things.

HDTs have a lot stiffer suspensions, even with air ride helping things out, typically rated for 17,000 - 22,000 lbs on the rear axle on a single axle to 38,000 - 44,000 lbs on a set of tandems. 3 - 4k pin weight is nothing for these trucks.

HDT suspension bushings are harder to flex than a pickup truck.

Shock absorbers are as big as the fat end of a baseball bat needing more to move them than shocks on a 3/4 or 1 ton.

tires are rated at about 6,000 - 7,000 lbs each on 22.5 - 24.5" wheels and have stiffer sidewalls running pressures of 95 - 130 psi

Truck frames do not flex nearly as much as a light duty truck frame. Yes all truck frames flex, if they didn't they would break in half.

Light duty truck frames are mild structural steel rated at 36,000 - 50,000 psi.......MDT truck frames are usually 9" or 10" x 3" x 1/4" thick structural C channel rated for 50,000 - 80,000 psi, some up to 120,000 PSI and heat treated.......... HDT truck frames are typically 10-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 3/8" hardened steel C-channel rated for 120,000 psi. There are also some trucks with double frames typically found in heavy haul and construction trucks.

Take a tandem axle road tractor as an example..... when you cross a frost heave in the road in a pickup you get a little bump twice. It's a big bump 3 times on a tandem axle class 8 truck. Air ride cab, seats and suspention hide what is really happening when you are sitting in the seat.

There are things that you can do to reduce some shock like running a single rear axle, singling out the duals if the tires weight ratings allow and adusting to an air pressure that is correct for the weight you are carrying without running pressure too low.

goodtruck

Tan the Volvo air ride is a good system I pull our 5er with a 2007 780 and the ride is good and what we left out on the shelf did not move.the wheel base on my truck is 236 in yours is most likely 231.I do have the air ride front axel.I also use the holland xa171 hitch with no problems (use the truck for both work and play).I went with a standerd hitch box and so far it is working OK. Our Eagle Ridge is most likey 2 to 4 thousan lbs lighter then the cyclone.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Tan the Volvo air ride is a good system I pull our 5er with a 2007 780 and the ride is good and what we left out on the shelf did not move.the wheel base on my truck is 236 in yours is most likely 231.I do have the air ride front axel.I also use the holland xa171 hitch with no problems (use the truck for both work and play).I went with a standerd hitch box and so far it is working OK. Our Eagle Ridge is most likey 2 to 4 thousan lbs lighter then the cyclone.
You have an awesome RIG!!!:D Thanks for the info too