Motorcycle Lift

lindaxtwo

We have been researching 5ers for about a year now and after making a trip to two factories, had thought our minds were made up on an Excel 36RDO until we came across the Heartland line at an area dealership. We are very impressed with the value added features that the Bighorn offers and find the 3655RD to have the same floor plan as the Excel. A deal breaker for us is whether we can safely add an Overbilt motorcycle lift to the rear of a Bighorn and not have the warranty voided or upset the pin weight, etc. The Excel factory says that their frame can handle it. Has anyone done this with their Heartland 5er ? What is the factories position on this as far as the warranty is concerned and from an engineering standpoint, what impact to frame, pin weight, etc. The bike that we'll be bringing along is around 600#...V-Star 650. Thanks !! Linda

Last edited:

D and J

Hi Linda,
Did you get an answer to your question? I would like to know as well. If you have any further info please let me know.
Thanks, D

porthole

Retired
The Excel factory says that their frame can handle it.

The factory or the dealer said that? Will they put it in writing?

I don't care whose trailer you use, you add 7-900 pounds to the rear bumper area unsupported and you are going to change the pin weight and towing dynamic

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I doubt Linda will see your posts anytime soon. She posted this (her first & only post) over 3 years ago and hasn't been on the forum for almost 2 1/2 years.

Niles

I agree with HT, they won't see this post. But do know Excel will put it in writing, they'll even install it. It is a factory option. How it works I can't say, it could be a wild ride.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Not sure who is still interested in this thread, but I did see a couple of recent posts.

I use the Pak-Rak lift in the bed of my truck. Used it for about 5 or 6 years now and lift and carry my Gold Wing in the truck bed. With the bike in the bed of the truck, I don't have to worry about the weight.

When I want to hook up my 5er and go camping with the bike, I have a Tow Buddy that attaches to my class 5 trailer hitch (with three mounting points) to hook my Landmark to. It has a massive frame and sits on 2 16' wheels. When hooked to my truck it acts like a tag axle. The 5er hooks into the Tow Buddy. I've had that for a couple of years now and use it whenever I want to take the bike, or golf cart or some other large item in the bed of the truck, but still want to the camper with me.

Keith

sforgetst

Allo Keith,

I'm ilterest to transport my ST1100 wen I go to Tx for winter.

Your Tow Buddy is a god solution. The price is a little high 5295$...

I try to find some video on you tube and did not find any...

Serge

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Allo Keith,

I'm ilterest to transport my ST1100 wen I go to Tx for winter.

Your Tow Buddy is a god solution. The price is a little high 5295$...

I try to find some video on you tube and did not find any...

Serge

Serge,
I looked but didn't find any video now. I know when I got mine, there were a couple of different videos on their web page, but I also know they had some financial problems and had to cut back some. I do have a brochure with a contact name and phone number. If you want to PM me your snail mail address, I'd be more than happy to drop one in the mail to you. Yes they are pricy but not nearly as bad as some of the other units I've seen and it sure is great to take all your toys with you when you go camping. I considered a toy hauler, but didn't want to give up the accomodations my Landmark provides.
Keith

Keith