External antenna

chardel

We have recently starting staying at an rv park in northern ga that is rather remote. We were getting a few channels with our on-board antenna (2008 big horn 3055 rl) but we started keeping in an rv port and reception is hindered by the steel partial enclosure. We think that getting an external antenna that we would put on the end of the enclosure so it would not be under the steel roof would really help. My question is where would we hook up the cable feed from the external antenna? Would it go into the cable inlet in the services area or would it need to be attached to the existing on-board antenna somehow? OR, any thoughts on a better solution. Nearest city is probably 40 to 50 miles away and they area has some mountains. Thanks for your thoughts.

jbeletti

Del and Char,

I believe you would connect an external antenna in your UDC to the Cable TV jack.

In this case, you would NOT turn on the antenna amplifier as that switch does 2 things. It switches to the roof mounted antenna and amplifies that signal.

When that switch if in the OFF position, it has the Cable TV circuit switched into the system.

If you need an amplifier, you could get an antenna mounted pre-amp with a power supply mounted in the UDC. But my sense is that all you need is a high gain UHF antenna, mounted to a mast above the roof line of your port with a cable run down that is convenient to running to the UDC when needed.

Jim