Refrigerator will not light

jj95

All,

I am in a pickle and could use some help.

I am embarking on a 10day camping trip, and just found out that my refrigerator will not light and run off propane. I ran it off AC at my house, got it all cooled. I then bled the lines (until the range would light). I have since turned the refrigerator off and on about 4 times, it still wont light. When I try to run it on gas, I can hear it click-click-click, and then I hear a "poof" - but it does not seem to fully light. I pulled the outside cover off, and actually saw the "poof" - it appeared to be right around where the gas line terminates into the back of the unit. So that makes me think that it is in fact getting propane, it just wont light or stay lit. It keep cycling through (45 seconds trying, 2 mins waiting, trying again, etc) and then eventually the "check" light comes on.

FYI, I have a North Trail 31QBS - I dont know exactly which model Dometic is in it (and I am afraid to try and open it since I want to keep all the cold in that I can!)

Thanks!
Jeff

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, are there any bug nests near the pilot light. Critters can get in there and mess up the pilot light. Got plenty of propane and all the lines are bled completely? You might try turning off the propane and then turn it back on real slow. MY 2cts. Bob:D

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
You might check the gas shut off knob on the back , its about the size of the end of a pencil or a little bigger.....Kenny

jj95

All,

Thanks for the tips. I didnt figure it out before we left, and we are on AC power now, and it managed to stay cool enough during our trips to the campground, between campgrounds, etc, so this is something I will have to look into when we get back home.

I did pull the back panel off, and I really didnt see any signs of mud-dobbers or spider webs, but I didnt pull the metal cover off to expose the pilot light or burner, so not sure if that is the issue.

Thanks again,
Jeff

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Jeff it works on AC then it should work on propane. Take the burner out and clean it along with the burner orffice. This is not rocket science, just simple taking things apart and putting them back together.
Hope this helps

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All,

I did pull the back panel off, and I really didnt see any signs of mud-dobbers or spider webs, but I didnt pull the metal cover off to expose the pilot light or burner, so not sure if that is the issue.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Jeff, as katkens suggested, check the gas shut off. It's an in line, small valve, operated by a flat tipped screwdriver. It may only be partially open and not enough to supply full pressure/volume to run.