Florescent lights!

ChopperBill

Can you get a new Bighorn with florescent lights? Would be simple to just install them instead of the incandescent ones.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Bill I don't think flourescent lights are available in twelve volts and all the lights in my Bighorn except the ceiling fan are twelve volts. If I'm wrong and they are available please let me know so I can get some too. Tomorrow I'm going to exchange the fan light to flourescent.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Can you get a new Bighorn with florescent lights? Would be simple to just install them instead of the incandescent ones.
I know they're standard for the Landmark. It sure would be a nice option for the Bighorn. I'm in the process of changing out the ones we use the most to the twin tubes. There is quite a difference. I'm also putting an additional light over the dinette table and will mount it under the cabinets.

2010augusta

They are standard in the Landmark. We love them. if the factory can't swap, it should be an easy install as long as you can work with 12 volt systems, and if the the wiring and switches are ran the same. We and turn on and off our florescent light with wall switches.

grizzlygiant

Mist RV supply stores have a wide assortment of 12V fluorescent lights. If I were to change fixtures I would investigate LED lights ---bright and minimal power consumption.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
You can change your 12 volts lights on the bighorn easily to 12 volt flou. Lights. I bought mine on ebay a lot cheaper than camping world. I have a 2010 bighorn (got in march) and i changed the kitchen ceiling lights to the flou. When i removed the old lights, the ceiling plastic was "almost burned" from the heat. I sent pictures to heartland factory rep. For my area and to jim beletti to look at. That was several months ago, have not heard back from either one. So, i assume the heat built up i saw was not a problem. Sure looked like a problem to me however.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I put in 2 flouresent lights. One over the kitchen sink, now converted to LED's and another in the living room between the 2 incandesent lights. I would like to convert that one to LED's also but LED's are not yet bright enough. I have tried some new generation ones, they are getting close but not there yet.

ChopperBill

I have replaced all the lights in our 3055 with florescent lights and even added a couple of extra. I just figured the factory could put them in while building a new unit. I have a box of incandescent lights in the shed. Dont need another box of 'em if we decide to trade our 3055. Purchased the lights from this guy. Best prices I have found.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Retired4Fun...what wattage did you use when you replaced all your lights?

Thinking of doing the same thing.

ChopperBill

Retired4Fun...what wattage did you use when you replaced all your lights?

Thinking of doing the same thing.
Ken, I used the lights that I gave in my link. I put 24 inch lights in the kitchen and living room and 18 inch lights in the bedroom. I also put an 18 incher over the sink and added one next to the stove under the cabinets. Need sun glasses when they are all going! :D

Thanks Jim! I figured it would be easy to do! (if it cost effective, only have about $200 in all of mine)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Retired4fun...thanks for the reply, however, one more question. Did you use the double tube or single tube lights. They have many different sizes and they all have different wattage. Don't want to order something that won't give enough light. Thanks:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having had to replace six of those 12V bulbs this last two week trip, I'll probably be looking at retrofitting my rig, too. What was the source for the LED fixtures?

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Thanks to everybody for educating me on 12V flourescent lights. I truly didn't know they existed. I don't really like the 12V incandescant lights because they are so hot after they have been in use for some time. I was thinking that they would be much cooler to operate. Thanks for providing the source for us. I will discuss this with the
DW and maybe at least change out the ones in the kitchen and living room. I have changed all them at home with 13watt which is equivalent to a 60W incandescant bulb.

ChopperBill

Retired4fun...thanks for the reply, however, one more question. Did you use the double tube or single tube lights. They have many different sizes and they all have different wattage. Don't want to order something that won't give enough light. Thanks:)
We used all double tubes but one single tube that I installed in the "hallway" that we can flip on when getting up during the night. A fall down the steps one night got that project going! :eek:

Uncle Rog

Once again I tip my cap to the man from the Rocky Mountain State, good job Chopper. I am just starting to power up the earthquake kit in anticipation of the start of camping season here, due to unusually cool weather. I now have another optional project to contemplate, the power savings dry camping would be worth changing a few fixtures, thanks again Chopper................