Hydraulic slide question

porthole

Retired
Are there "limits" on the slide extension? Either physical or electrical.

What "makes the slide stop when extending it out?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as I know, they have stops built into them. Also the inside molding act as a stop. Bob:D

2010augusta

I have "fine tuned" ours by adjusting the stops/jam nuts on the hydraulic rams. I noticed that the molding around the bed are was deflecting some when we ran the room all the way out, so I adjusted the full stroke length to be 3/4 of an inch sooner and the retracted length to be 1/2 inch shorter to seal the outside better. The three main room slides where all fine.

porthole

Retired
I got home from Elkhart a little after 1:30am.

My wife had waited anxiously for over a week to see the trailer - so I quickly got settled in, leveled and so forth.

Putting the slides out was normal right up until the L/R landed against the wall.

This time the motor barely slowed down, kept pushing the slide out, from what I can tell just the forward half.

As I was watching the lower corner appeared to drop down then go even deeper and the carpet "popped up"

I then noticed the interior trim starting to fold in :eek:.

I stopped, pulled it back in a bit and then went to bed, had to be at work at 8am.

I took a quick look under the trailer before I left and could see the framework where the rams attach were bent on the front arm.

Will be looking later today to see where the adjustments are,

porthole

Retired
To answer my questions in the first post:

Yes there is a limit. It is physical, the hydraulic ram has a predetermined length extended and retracted.

The exact full out and full in length is set with 3 nuts on a threaded shaft, two nuts that jamb against each other (jamb nuts) and one ny-loc nut.

You can run the slide in or out until you hear the motor slow down. According to Lippert's manual even if you hold your finger on the button the motor will stop in a few seconds.

My problem is that the nuts were apparently not torqued and on the trip home the jambs nuts loosened and vibrated toward the outside of the coach, effectively lengthening the ram and causing the damage.

Attachments

• Slideout_02_small.jpg
    Slideout_02_small.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Slideout_06_small.jpg
    Slideout_06_small.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 45