Storing for the winter

annirroc

We just brought home a brand new M18 FBP this past Monday. Seems a little early to be talking about the winter but we live in Alberta so there's snow and below freezing temperatures for a good part of the year.

Sounds like a trailer cover is the way to go but there are also some pretty negative reviews about the Adco covers - any suggestions? Thanks!

SmokeyBare

Annirroc,

When we lived in our old Stick & Brick home... we would store our Fifth Wheel at our local county fair grounds. They rented the buildings for storage. We used one of the secure buildings... one's with locked doors for our storage location.... they also had open sided buildings which was mostly used for farm equipment storage. They charged per foot by the length of the RV. It was nice to have it out of the driveway when I had to push snow.

annirroc

Annirroc,

When we lived in our old Stick & Brick home... we would store our Fifth Wheel at our local county fair grounds. They rented the buildings for storage. We used one of the secure buildings... one's with locked doors for our storage location.... they also had open sided buildings which was mostly used for farm equipment storage. They charged per foot by the length of the RV. It was nice to have it out of the driveway when I had to push snow.
Thanks Marv and Karen. My father-in-law farms and has a number of outbuildings that we could probably squeeze into -- about 2 1/2 hours away but sounds like it'd be worth the drive. Seems that a lot of birds spend their time in the buildings so we'll need to cover our unit somehow -- thinking a tarp might do? I'd still like to find out more about the RV covers I've seen on the 'net though.

Cheers!

SmokeyBare

Annirroc,

For sure a tarp could serve you well. In fact to prevent the tarp from rubbing on the RV when the wind blew through the barn door... could be you'd be able to suspend the tarp just above the RV by a foot or so... this way you'd be able to have protection from the roosting feathered friends.

Good Luck !

Marv

rick_h

ANother thing to keep in mind is mice. Mice need very little space to sneak in so they need to be dealt with. I have 2 friends that absolutely swear by Bounce (original) fabris softener sheets. They put them every where - under the beds on top of them in drawers on the floor. They said to buy the largest box they have and to empty it inside the trailer. Neither had mice when they used this method.

Bobby A

We just brought home a brand new M18 FBP this past Monday. Seems a little early to be talking about the winter but we live in Alberta so there's snow and below freezing temperatures for a good part of the year.

Sounds like a trailer cover is the way to go but there are also some pretty negative reviews about the Adco covers - any suggestions? Thanks!

We bought a cover several years ago from Camping World, supposed to have been the good one with tyvak top and breathable sides for our Montana Big Sky, on the 2nd year it ripped in several locations / It did keep the exterior clean, however, my wife was livid when she entered the rig and many things in our rig was molded, not a pretty site. Thats the last time we ever put a cover on. We live in Michigan and stay full time in a campgrounds, I have seen more covers tear to shreads than not. I won't be putting a cover EVER on my new Big Horn.

Last edited:

2010augusta

My father covers their Winnebago and the "top quality" tyvek cover has buffed or marred areas of the gel-coat. After 5 or 6 winters of covering the only area that has torn is the edges around the metal shield of the awning.

annirroc

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely rethinking using a cover and judging by the comments, will probably not go with one at all (except for perhaps a tarp to protect the top from the birds).

I like the Bounce idea too!

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely rethinking using a cover and judging by the comments, will probably not go with one at all (except for perhaps a tarp to protect the top from the birds).

I like the Bounce idea too!
When we had our Hurricane we covered it and never had any problems. We took pool noodles and cover all sharp areas. In fact my parents whom now own the RV still use the cover

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Bounce smells much better than mothballs :D

I seen a show on the tv the other day and they said there testing showed mint oil on cotton balls worked for all types of rodents. They said to buy the pure stuff not extract used for cooking.....Kenny