Air conditioner report.

ChopperBill

Ran my A/C yesterday. It was in the 90's and I live a 5000 feet. Didn't start the air until about 1:30 when I got home from work so I didn't get a head start on cooling the coach. Happy to report that it got down the 75 degrees. Lots of air blowing in the bedroom vents. You can feel it while lying in the bed. The living room vents don't blow as much air. Much to my amazement when I opened the ceiling plenum vent there was still air blowing from the vents! Not as much but I felt the A/C as a whole did a better job that way. Some what nosier.
OK now the generator test. Hooked up my Kipor 3500 to see if it would handle the coach. They are only rated for up to a 13,500 A/C and ours is a 15,000. Ran great! Did not do a test from econo throttle as I thought that would not be fair. Had the converter running, lights on, fire place going (no heat) and the TV on at the same time! Sat in the Euro Chair with feet propped up with a big grin on my face!

Trap

Glad to hear all things are working well. These sites can make people a little nervous some times. Especially all the problems with the ac.

Trap

New Bighorn 3500RL

Yes indeed, this site can make you nervous. We purchased a NEW Bighorn on May 5th and have yet to be able to spend one night in it. We drove it home in a storm and it leaked terribly! When the slide came in, it ripped up the kitchen floor. . . . When we took it back, my husband noticed that it was not pulling correctly. The axles were not right, and had to be taken off and put back straight. :eek:

We have talked to the factory folks and they are promising to fix it RIGHT. I trust them to do the right thing, and pray they keep their word. These trailers are beautiful and was a dream come true for us as we never thought we could buy anything like this. None I am a little nervous , just wondering what we are going to find when we are finally able to spend some time in it. A.C. . . . . Fireplace. . . . and the other problems you folks have mentioned.

We camp EVERY weekend and miss our trips. I am so looking forward to spending some time in my "new dream home" really soon.:eek:

happy trails!
dee

timk

ChopperBill said:
Ran my A/C yesterday. It was in the 90's and I live a 5000 feet. Didn't start the air until about 1:30 when I got home from work so I didn't get a head start on cooling the coach.

90's sound like a nice cool ocean breeze. It was 105 yesterday, with the ac on and the rig cool from yesterday, our one ac kept our rig in the upper 70's.
TimK

busted2341

..just some info....I too will be returning the rig for A/C service...We have been at Port Aransas Texas the last week and with temps only in the 90's the A/C is trying..but the cooling in the B/R just has no volume, just as other have said...other than that I did do the fix on the wire strap under the slide which of coarse caused the loops that attach to the wire holder to fail....

DennisZ

Just got my 3055RL yesterday and tried out the AC, just as previous posts have said, the flow is very weak in the rear. guess I'll be making the diverter mods.

jimtoo

You would think that the company, Heartland, would at least add a couple of more vents and do a recall or ask all the people to bring their units back for for the modification that appears to solve the problem.

L'l John

jimtoo said:
You would think that the company, Heartland, would at least add a couple of more vents and do a recall or ask all the people to bring their units back for for the modification that appears to solve the problem.

Boy, you got that right. I am going to pick up my BH 3400 tomorrow and would sure like the air to work right on it.

busted2341

I gotta tell all that the vent on the D/S rear L/R works great. But the vent on the N/D/S works very weak. When I looked in the vent, you can see the duct work has been crushed. My B/R is the same but both vents do not put out any volume at all......

ChopperBill

Busted: Might as well fix it yourself. See if you can straighten out the vents ducts and do the Timk's "tent in the vent" mod. The tent in the vent is very simple. Take some furnace tape and make all the transitions to the vents a smooth as possible so the air will not have Resistance. My air works great after these fixes. The factory wont fix the problem and the dealers seem to be clueless from these posts.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
busted2341 said:
I gotta tell all that the vent on the D/S rear L/R works great. But the vent on the N/D/S works very weak. When I looked in the vent, you can see the duct work has been crushed. My B/R is the same but both vents do not put out any volume at all......

I'm not sure what your abbreviations are. Please clarify.

busted2341

sorry, I am referring to the Door Side, D/S rear Living room, L/R...and the other is the Non Door Side N/D/S.....Bedroom is the B/R...will ry to explain myself better.....

tinkers

Full timers
After 1 year of a/c problems, adding a 2nd unit, factory coming & cutting additional vents, etc, etc, did the "vent tent" and WOW!!! Really can feel air in the rear setting in the chairs now!!! Thank you, Tim. I copied and sent the info to our dealer, and they were very appreciative and thrilled to find a fix!!!

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

DennisZ

One empty beer can ~ $.05
1/2 roll Aluminum Duct Tape ~ $7.50
2 Hours of my time ~ ???
Wonderful Air Conditioning ~ Priceless

Just finished the "Tim" mod and it works great! I even re-did all the vent outlets to smooth them out, that mod didn't make as much difference.

A friend came over that has a Holiday Rambler moter home, and he was impress with the air flow. His coach also has low flow, it must be more common than with just Heartland.

deerturky

I am a service manager of an rv dealership and would love to find out just what the tent in the vent method of correcting the a/c problems is, It will also help to make our many customers happy, it is not unusual for our temps to be over 100 degrees for several days in a roll in south Texas.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

jbeletti

explore usa,

Check out posts 1 and 7 of this thread. Post 1 discusses the solution and post 7 has pictures of the solution. This is from forum user timk.

Jim

timk

DennisZ said:
One empty beer can ~ $.05
1/2 roll Aluminum Duct Tape ~ $7.50
2 Hours of my time ~ ???
Wonderful Air Conditioning ~ Priceless

Just finished the "Tim" mod and it works great! I even re-did all the vent outlets to smooth them out, that mod didn't make as much difference.

A friend came over that has a Holiday Rambler moter home, and he was impress with the air flow. His coach also has low flow, it must be more common than with just Heartland.

Beer can... geeeze, I wish I had thought of that.
Save a nickel use an Arizona non-returnable beer can.
TimK

ChopperBill

Tim: You are going to be famous! The air thing came up at RV.net and I mentioned your deal. Not surprised more folks than us are having the same problem. Some are going to try it and I am sure with positive posts. Say, how about a magic cure for my satellite! :)