Basement Door Lifts

Ratowns

OK, I have another complaint. The lifts for the basement doors keep coming detached from the doors. The screws keep reaming out and will not keep them attached. I guess the cheap composite of the doors is not strong enough to keep them from stripping out. I tried refilling the original screw holes with glue and then running the screws in after the glue dried. It broke loose again. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you remedy the situation? I was thinking about drilling a hole through the door and using a stainless steel mushroom head bolt to attach the lifts. I really hate to drill a hole through the door, though. I'm open to suggestion.
Thanks,

:cool:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
BELOW IS ONE SOLUTION IF YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT A SHEET METAL SCREW INTO THE THIN METAL OF THE DOOR. WITH THE BELOW TOOL, YOU INSERT A NUT INTO THE THIN SHEET METAL, THEN YOU USE A THREADED BOLT OR SCREW TO SCREW INTO THE NUT. THIS IS FOR INSTALLING MIRRORS ON TRUCKS, CARS AND ETC. WHERE YOU NEED TO PUT A NUT INTO A BLIND HOLE (WHERE YOU CAN'T GET TO THE OTHER SIDE TO HOLD THE NUT) IT WORKS GREAT IN THIN SHEET METAL. THE BELOW IS A "CHEAP" KNOCKOFF OF A MORE EXPENSIVE TOOL, BUT THE BELOW IS GOOD FOR A HOME OWNER OR WHERE YOU JUST NEED IT A FEW TIMES. ALSO, YOU CAN GET IT FOR 5/16 OR 3/8 BOLTS TOO. I HAVE BEEN SELLING THE BELOW TYPE TOOL FOR 30 YEARS. ANY QUESTION, EMAIL ME. KENNY

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1210
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit[/FONT]
01210.gif

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Easily install threaded nuts when only one side of the material is accessible just by drilling a hole in aluminum
  • Kit contains a heavy duty setting tool, four nosepieces, 10 each 6-32, 8-32, 10-24 and 1/4-20 inserts
  • Maximum rivet capacity: 1/4"[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Shipping weight: 1.9 lbs.
[/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 1210-6VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$16.99[/FONT]

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes to what kenny said. This is the tool that installs the "well nuts", "nut serts" or what ever its called into the roofs of cars to hold roof racks on. Bob

lhetsler

Gorilla Glue

Use polyurethane glue such as gorilla glue. It will expand once in the hole and will stay. Put it on the screw thread and screw it in, when it expands it will be permanent. Wipe excess of right away.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
This may or may not work but you could try to fill the hole with wood glue and shove wooden match sticks or toothpicks in and let dry. Then try your screws again.../Doug

Ratowns

Kenny, My doors have no metal that I can tell. They are particle board or something cheap like that.
I think I will try the gorilla glue first and if that don't work I'll try the wood glue once again.
Thanks to all of you for your help.
Rat