tires

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Scott
I am thinking of upgrading the tires. The Mission tires don't have a very good history. My question is, the factory aluminum rims used on the 6000# axles (3400rl) the same ones used on the 7000# axles (3600). Are they rated for 110 psi required by the G rated tires? Also, which manufacturer provides the aluminum rims. I have the type with the round holes (older type).

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tire upgrade?

You make a good point about low-rated tires. I don't care for "low bidder" tires to be put on a trailer that will soon be my home. For those of us that haven't ordered our trailers yet, is it possible to order a better tire direct from the factory? I'm thinking that the factory could take advantage of a dealer discount as well as a quantity discount when they purchase the tires and then allow customers to upgrade if they wished.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
jayc
I agree, it would be nice to have an option to upgrade the tires, however that would most likely require additional material storage etc. at the factory production line that were would not be much savings over what we can buy the tires for locally.

Scott
I don't mind replacing the std tires, I just like to know if the wheels are rated for the G rating tires. Is the rating stamped on the rim some place? If so where can I find it?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I see your point about having wheels that will handle the tire pressure. I was just wondering if I could order better tires from the factory instead of trying to convince the DW that I need to spend another $800+ for new tires on a brand new trailer!

I know it's false economy to finance something like tires for several years, but I've always figured it's better to buy with all the gadgets, gizmos and upgrades already installed, then I don't have anything else to buy.

Last edited:

Midastouch

jayc ... I will be watching to see what replies come from this post also. I guess I have the same feeling as you in that I'm going to get everything I can while I'm ordering ... don't want to have to buy too much more after all is said and done ... for awhile anyway!

Do the Landmarks and Big Horns have the same tires?

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Just remember the "ST" type tires used on our rigs are only rate for 65 mph! It does not matter which brand tire. Add high temperature, high loads and maybe a little less then max air pressure and you have your hands full.

Midastouch

I learned a little bit about tires when I went to replace the stock tires on my 05 F250. Since the wheels are 18", it was harder to find a decent tire with the load range in an 18". The local dealer sold me new "take offs" with the same wheels for a decent price and the tires seem to be decent for as much as I drive the truck. It had 59K highway miles on it when I bought it and the tires were still fairly good. I got 4 new ones to make the trip to Knoxville in August sometime, hopefully, to pick up the Grand Canyon.

I kinda worry about tires!

Scott

The rims stay the same. I am pretty sure that those tires came from Americana Tire and Wheel in Bristol, IN. We have purchased from both Americana and Tredit Tire in Elkhart, IN.
The tire ratings and tread thickness are determined and regulated by the national highway transportation and safety department - so any thought of "cheap" tires does not really apply. We have seen Bridgestone and Goodyears fail at times, just like the Kenda and Mission.
FYI - there have been times where we have switched tires becasue of availability - it's about the price. Again, the ratings are issued by the official department - so we trust in their ratings.

ST

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Thanks scott. As I said before, the rims (wheels) not the tires was my main concern if they were rated for the "G" rated tires. G rated tires normally require 110 psi rated rims. Also the valve stem needs to be of the higher rating. I plan to upgrade, I have had tire blow out in the past on other trailers and the damage to the trailer far out weights the cost of the tires. (Makes a real mess of the sides of the coach) Next to the braking system the tires are the most important in my book to keep maintained and in good working order. And this goes for any brand tire!

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Okay guys, here is my 2 cents. I had my coach weighed by Weigh-IT during the rally. During that process, we talked about load ranges and rim ratings. If you pull one of your wheels off your coach, stamped in the casting on the back of the wheel, you will see the PSI rating of the wheel. Sure enough, on my Bighorn, I have cast into the rim "DO NOT EXCEED 80 PSI." I have one wheel and tire that was repalced by the factory and it is a load range G instead of the load range E's that came on it. I am working with the factory to get the correct rim and tire so I have a matched set as I was advised not to run mis-matched ratings.
Phil

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Thanks Phil for the post. This was the information that I was looking for. Where on the rim do you see the max of 80 psi? I only can find the max load rating. I did not have time to remove the wheel again, however I can see the inside edge of the rim from the back side and I do not see the pressure rating stamping. If you are correct, then there is a difference between the wheels on the 6000# axles vs the 7000# axles. Important information! Thanks Jim

phranc

Phil,, If possible do just the oposite,, that is replace the other 3 with "G" rated tires and wheels .. Of course it's easy to spend someone else' money....HeHe

Scott

Clarification-
I was re-reading this thread and noticed a typo in my sentence that really changed what I was trying to say. The sentence should have read; "FYI - there have been times where we have switched tires becasue of availability - it's not always about the price."
The words, "..not always.." being the key ommision there.

arisce

Rims Rating?

I read this entire post and I do not see where the rim rating is posted. I have a 3600 RL and had a blow-out on driver side of coach outside tire. A lot of damage to the coach underneath. I am concerned. I was told by the person who put the spare on that the aluminum wheels were weak and I should change to steel. Are the aluminum wheels rated for 110 psi or not? Should I change to steel? Confused and scared!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes, that is the same thoughts I have. The rim (wheel) have a stamping on the inside webs. If you remove the wheel and look around the area where the webs are, there is a rating in the casting. I am concern since the aluminum apprears to be a cast not forged piece. Castings can have voids that will effect the wheel. However, I believe the tires are the weakness link. I have replaced all four with michelins XPS. I am glad I did, the camper tows easier. The originial tires, like you know can blowout. BLOWOUTS ON CAMPER, I have been there and do not want to go there again! To answer your question about 110 PSI, It appears that the 7000# axles have 110 psi rated wheels and the 6000# axle have 80 psi rating.

K

Ken Washington

What do you guys think about running the tires at max. 110lb. when you know that the preasure goes up when the tires heat up! The max. load may not be what you are putting on these tires! I run mine at 95lb. and they look and wear fine. Maybe some are blowing up because of high preasure. Just a thought I had!
Ken

jpmorgan37

When we were at the Rally, Stacey Frank, who was doing the truck and trailer weighing, did a seminar on weights, tires, load rating etc. His recommendation was that if the tire was rated at 110 psi COLD, that is the pressure that you should run. But also, he emphasized that the pressure be set when the tire is cold. Will it build up? Sure as the tire heats up, but according to him (and the tire manufacturers) the major cause of tire failure is underinflation. Also, he said, that if you lower the pressure in the tire, the load rating decreases proportionally. If you would like to contact Stacey, his e-mail address is weighit@gmail.com or his web site is http://weighit.tripod.com.

John

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I agree with Stacey Frank. Most tire failures do not start with high air pressure, they start due to heat. Running a tire low on air is a sure way to over heat a tire. The other problem is a "ST" type tire is only rated a 65mph. That means if you travel at or a little above that speed on a day with high temperatures (above std temperature (75 degrees) that the tire was rated at) it will blow. Then add under inflation, well it is not a question if the tire will blowout, it is a question which hour of the trip will it blowout!

jpmorgan37

Glad you mentioned the ST rating of 65 mph. That is something else that Stacey discussed. My GC has LT rated tires but I still run 60 -62 mph most of the time. It amounts to 2 to 3 mpg and what the heck, I'm retired so why should I hurry. BTW, I just spent a great week close to you in Denver, PA at Hickory Run CG.
John

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Thanks for your input! I will rethink what I am doing. What bothers me the most is that Heartland has given us something else to worry about! Who doesn't pull at 65 or 70 mph when that is the speed limit at all degrees of temp. I have had a blow out on a trailer and it's no fun on the side of the road trying to change the tire and then having to deal with damage to the unit. What are we suppose to do, travel 10 mph below the limit?